Forget Cuffing Season—Here are Songs to Add to your SAD Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

It’s that time of the year again—the sun is setting earlier, the air is getting colder, and the trees are changing colour.  Some optimistic people may think of this time of year as “cuffing season”, but others think of it as the return of their seasonal depression.  If you consider yourself the latter and enjoy the full experience of wallowing in the dark with sad music, keep reading.

Streaming services are cheaper than therapy, and as someone who has scoured said streaming services to curate the best playlists for every mood, I feel as though I am qualified  to share my top choices for songs to blast while eating pie straight out of the container.

“Monsoon” and “Kentucky (demo)” by Hippo Campus

Hippo Campus can really do it all: from upbeat to slow and sad, this band is a staple on all of my playlists. “Monsoon” and “Kentucky (demo)” are two of my favourite songs and hit different during the winter months.

Noah Kahan’s Entire Discography

Vermont-native Noah Kahan dropped his third album, Stick Season, on October 14th, and it’s a fitting album to herald in the colder months. With songs about living in a small town (“Homesick”), it’s easy to get lost in the nostalgia. His song “Stick Season” blew up on TikTok this past summer, and I highly recommend checking out his discography for perfect fall vibes.

“Swan Upon Leda,” “Cherry Wine,” and “Shrike” By Hozier

Would it really be a sad fall playlist without mentioning Hozier? My favourite slow and sad songs would be “Cherry Wine” from his self-titled album, “Shrike” from Wasteland, Baby! and his latest single from his upcoming album, “Swan Upon Leda.”

“All the Pretty Girls” and “Save Yourself” by Kaleo

All the Pretty Girls” and “Save Yourself” by Icelandic band Kaleo shine with haunting melodies and beautiful guitars, making them perfect additions to your playlists.

“San Luis” and “Big Black Car” by Gregory Alan Isakov

There seems to be a theme of guitar as a focus in sad fall songs, but I’m not complaining. Gregory Alan Isakov’s soft vocals and catching picking patterns really set the mood for fall.

“Funeral,” “Garden Song,” and “Graceland Too” by Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers’ songs always hit differently, but these songs always feel like a gut-punch in the fall, so naturally, I had to include them in my round up.

“Waltz Right In,” “Nelsonwood Lane,” and album Bank on the Funeral (Stripped) by Matt Maeson

Matt Maeson’s discography takes personal experiences and turns them into gorgeous songs that’ll get stuck in your head. He stripped down his debut album, Bank on the Funeral, taking already melancholy songs and turning up the “cry-on-the-floor” factor to 11.

Music has always been a powerful way to express feelings and work through emotions, and hopefully some of these songs will make it onto some of your own playlists.

Please note: The information contained in this page is for the sole purpose of entertainment, and not advice. There are many ways to access cheap therapy, such as BetterHelp and Talkspace. Contact your school’s student health services or student support services for information. If you are in crisis, please call your doctor or 911 immediately. If you’re having suicidal thoughts, call +1 (833) 456-4566 (Canada).

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.