This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

We are on our phones pretty much all the time, and lately I’ve been wanting to try and implement some wellness into my daily phone scrolling. To do that, there are several apps I’ve been using to help improve my wellbeing.

Finch

In my last article, I mentioned that I was using a digital self-care app called Finch. The concept of the app is that you create a little bird, and as you do daily self-care tasks such as journaling, stretching, completing goals, etc, your bird grows! The app also includes a variety of journaling prompts for daily reflections, rants, daily questions, and more to guide your writing, and it allows you to reply to these topics in a bullet-point format. It also includes great resources for anxiety and stress management, and it’s completely private, so no bigger companies can access your information. What’s also fun is you can add your friends to the app and send each other forms of self-care such as gratitude, strength, and water reminders.You can also dress up your bird and design its home using the jewels that you earn by completing your self-care each day!

I Am

I Am is an affirmations app that is filled with a bunch of wellness-related affirmations. When you install the app, you can select what types of affirmations you want to receive, which can include relationships, physical health, mental health, confidence, and more! Along with being able to scroll through these affirmations within the app, you can also enable push notifications so throughout the day you can receive a variety of affirmations you can read to improve your mindset. For iPhone users, I Am also allows you to create home screen and lock screen widgets, so you don’t always need to be in the app to get your affirmations. I find I use this app every day when filling in my 5 minute journal, and scrolling through the app each morning is always a great start to my day.

Agape

One form of wellness that is not typically touched on is relationship wellness. Being in a healthy relationship increases our happiness improves our health, and reduces our stress but we need to know how to communicate and express our love for our partner, and Agape helps do  just that! How it works is you and your partner sign up for the app together under one account. Then, each day you will receive a question that you both can answer. You’re not able to see either of your responses until after both partners answer the question, and after that you are able to react to each other’s answers! Some of the question topics include gratitude, behaviour, learning, and investment. The app also has different question series that you and your partner can work through, such as long-distance relationships and moving in together so you can help get to know each other better for certain experiences. If you want to take your relationship wellness to the next level, there is a premium subscription you can pay for, but my boyfriend and I have been using the free version for the past month, and it works just as well!

Pinterest

Now I know Pinterest is one of the more generic social media apps, but what I like about Pinterest is that it’s meant to inspire, and the content that goes up is not the same as on other platforms such as TikTok and Instagram. I consider Pinterest to be my wellness feed as it tends to share curated recommendations with me about food, self-care, physical health, fashion & beauty inspiration, and product recommendations, and I find the app always makes me feel a lot better after logging off. You can also make boards to inspire your wellness by creating dedicated boards for travelling, recipes, goals, etc. that you can look at when you need a good boost. I also love using Pinterest when creating vision boards for my laptop as the images really help to change your mindset.

Bloomth

Did you know that your period cycle influences your overall wellness? Who knew! While I currently use a period tracker app called Flo to track all the ins and outs of logging my period, I recently checked out another app called Bloomth, which connects periods and self-care together. Within the app, you can target up to 3 wellness goals, including improving PMS, anxiety, your immune system, sleep and more, and specify a particular wellness goal to focus on. The app curates its content based on which part of your cycle you’re at (either period, pre-ovulation, ovulation, or post-ovulation), then each day you will get personal recommendations of lifestyle tips, meal rules/tips, and supplements to try to help improve your wellness for that day. Bloomth also contains a wellness tab which tailors workouts and relaxation tactics, and it corresponds to your cycle and wellness goals. There’s also a food plan tab that will select different recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks that are specifically tailored too! Finally, the app contains a community page filled with women going through the same things you’re going through, and it has a variety of journals to help you track your progress along the way!

So those are some of my favourite wellness apps! Some other ways I’d suggest implementing wellness into your phone would be:

• Using the Favourites tab on Instagram and filling it with pages that bring you joy
  • Implement the Focus feature on iPhones! My favourite is the sleep feature, where I can select only specific notifications to go through and adjust my screen to give less blue light
  • Use Widgets! My two favourite ways are using the notes app to add manifestations to my home screen, and the photos widget to add my favourite photos and inspirational quotes
  • Turn off the red bubble notifications (if anything, they’ll stress you out more)
  • Sort your apps into folders! It makes your screen less chaotic. Some people have also changed the names to be affirmation based (ex. “I am Healthy” for health apps, “I am connected” for social media apps, “I am relaxed” for entertainment apps, etc.)
  • Remove accounts from your social media pages that don’t bring you joy
Mya Bezaire is the Co-Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. She is responsible for overseeing all administrative aspects of the chapter, from member onboarding to article scheduling. Prior to this, Mya was the social media director (2021-2022), and she currently still helps with posting on social media. She also is a writer who’s content typically focuses around career development, entertainment, and self-care. Beyond Her Campus, Mya is a freelance digital marketer for her own business titled Market with Mya. As a freelancer Mya has worked with small-to-medium business clients based in Canada & the US to help elevate their digital presence through content creation, social media management, and design. Currently, Mya is a Senior at the University of Windsor in Communication, Media, and Film, with a minor in Information Technology. Mya is also the president of the Communication Student Association, where she oversees all marketing & events efforts to create a vibrant space for Communication Students on campus. In her free time, Mya loves immersing herself in TV and Film. She’s a reality TV junkie but also loves a good romcom or thriller-drama. She also loves prioritizing her wellness, and you can often find her journalling, listening to her fave podcasts & YouTubers, or going on a hot girl walk.