Five Female-Written Must-Reads for the Bored Bookworm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

In a world brimming with incredible literary talent, the voices of women continue to inspire the masses with new perspectives and ideas. As a serial bookworm myself, I’ve found that I connect best with novels written by and for women across various genres. Here are five titles that I absolutely recommend for any bored bookworm with a handful of time on her hands! 

Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery:

L.M Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables is an absolute must-read for any young woman! With several movie adaptations and a Netflix show, Montgomery’s writing touches the hearts of women everywhere. Her commentary on a young orphan’s life in 1880s Eastern Canada is riveting and eye-opening, and the romance is adorable! There are so many points in the novels where I can personally relate to her young heroine as she grows into a distinguished adult. If you’re interested in lighthearted yet impactful historical fiction, Anne of Green Gables is where to look! 

Flowers In The Attic by V.C Andrews:

Flowers In The Attic is a years-long personal favourite for me, and a novel that I keep coming back to each time I finish it! If you’re interested in mystery, family drama, psychological horror, and Gothic romance, V.C Andrews is your girl! Flowers in the Attic is set in the 1950s, following a young girl whose life takes a twist due to her father’s sudden death, after which she becomes ensnared by a dark family history. This is the first novel in Andrews’ Dollanganger Series, her most popular saga. The story deals with many heavy topics that may not be appropriate for all audiences, so do beware before you open it!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen:

With its own BBC series and several movie adaptations, Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice is an absolute hit among women! Even in Austen’s lifetime, Pride and Prejudice was always her most famous work. The story follows a young Elizabeth Bennett who becomes caught up in a romantic drama with the family and friends of the rich, mysterious, and somewhat pompous, Mr. Darcy. Women took to Mr. Darcy almost immediately after the novel’s publication in 1813, and Austen’s perfectly drawn-out romance is still loved to this day! The story is also known for its commentary on class dynamics and women’s social lives. If you’re looking for a story that’ll have you invested for an eventual happy ending, look no further than this Jane Austen classic! 

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood:

Alias Grace is a novel I read for a high school English project that I genuinely did not have high hopes for. I was shocked while reading it, and found that it quickly became a hit on my bookshelf! The story is Atwood’s fictional recounting of one of Canada’s most famous historic murders: the murders of Thomas Kinnear and Nancy Montgomery. This murder-mystery story is a lot more introspective than most others. The story follows Grace Marks, the real-life 19th-century culprit for these murders, and her struggles with oppression and psychological terror. There were many parts of the story where I had to put the book down in order to process what I was reading, but I was never disappointed when I picked it back up! 

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir:

The Second Sex is a book that I think every woman should read at least once in her lifetime! This is one of Simone de Beauvoir’s most famous and influential literary works; it even inspired Betty Friedan to write The Feminine Mystique! The Second Sex is a groundbreaking philosophical analysis about the treatment of women both during de Beauvoir’s time, but also throughout history. One of de Beauvoir’s most famous quotes from the text is that, “one is not born a woman, but becomes one,” which has been used in feminist discussions even decades after its publication in 1949! The book was so controversial that it was, and still is, banned by the Vatican. Nevertheless, it’s still considered to be one of the most important pieces of feminist philosophy! 

Finally, with more women putting their ideas to paper, the genre of women’s literature is quickly becoming super hot! These lists are quickly growing as new titles hit the shelves. So next time when you’re perusing your local Indigo looking for something interesting to pick up, try checking out one of these!

Jasmine Fric

UWindsor '27

Jasmine Fric is a first-year Biomedical Sciences student at University of Windsor who enjoys reading, writing, and drawing various pieces whenever she's inspired. Jasmine loves to apply herself to a wide range of activities, such as volunteering, tutoring, and doing mini research projects. In her free time, you can usually find her nose-deep in a good book that she's probably read before.