Feminist TV Shows to Empower and Inspire You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

For this week’s female empowerment theme, I thought I’d share a list of feminist TV shows that empower and inspire women. I’ve been happy to see so many female empowerment theme weeks within our club as well as global changes outside of it. This list is compiled by researching various TV shows that showcase female empowerment and does not reflect the opinions of HC as a whole.

1. Shrill

a. This story captures an aspiring writer’s struggle with her career, her body, dating, and relationships with her loved ones. This show has been a favourite for many as it portrays honest, tragic, and relatable events of a plus-size woman’s life. It has been inspiring to many.

b. This show has 3 seasons and can be watched on BBC iPlayer.

2. Killing Eve

a. This show captures the story of two women – one an intelligence officer and the other a villainous assassin. Not only does this story put two women against each other in their own powerful ways, but it also shows that a woman is powerful enough to play the role of a villain. It is a spy-thriller show written primarily by women. 

b. This show has 4 seasons and can also be watched on BBC iPlayer.

3. Catherine the Great

a. Catherine the Great was a feminist hero and ruler of Russia in the 18th century. This story follows her strong will, independence, and intelligent demeanour despite the era she was in. She was one of the most powerful monarchs in history and was also sexually liberated in her time.

b. This show has 1 season and can be watched on Amazon Prime.

4. GLOW

a. GLOW follows the story of female wrestlers that are both mentally and physically strong. It defies typical wrestling gender stereotypes and shows the strength and bond between the girls both inside and outside of the ring. Whilst they are against each other during matches, they love and support one another as family when the fights are over. It showcases the capabilities  of a woman’s mind beyond just the sport they play.

b. This show has 3 seasons and can be watched on Netflix.

And there you have it! A short and sweet list of modern-day TV shows that really showcase female empowerment. I hope this week’s empowerment theme week and some of our other wonderful writers and their articles give you something to take away! I hope the end of the semester treats everyone well!

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!