Dear Blue Jays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Revere. Donaldson. Bautista. Encarnacion. Colabello. Tulowitzki. Martin. Pillar. Goins. Price. Estrada. Osuna. Sanchez. Navarro.  These have all become household names in a nation that is typically tuned into hockey at this time of year.  Although Canada is primarily focused on hockey at almost all times of the year, it does not mean that hockey is the only sport they know.  After TV broadcaster Harold Reynolds stated on air that it’s “…because there’s not a lot of people who grew up playing baseball in Canada, they’re not used to catching a lot of balls in the stands.”  No, Mr. Reynolds, that is false.  There are 29 American teams in Major League Baseball, but only ONE in Canada.  The general population typically associates with the team that is in the closest city to them, but in Canada, there is only one team: the Blue Jays.  That team is the team that Canadians choose to support and rally behind.  

Dear Blue Jays,

That was one amazing season.  Not only did you successfully manage to get all of Canada behind you, but you won the AL East!  Most Canadians will remember the day that you won.  Were they in a bar? Work? Home with the family?  This was the first time for Canada to celebrate baseball since ’93 when you won the World Series.  The celebrations were insane.  Bars were packed and people were cheering all over Canada!  It was amazing.  It was what Canadians needed and wanted!  

Not only did you win the AL East, but you also won the American League Division Series.  In game 5 nonetheless.  Putting the fans through the suspense of losing the first two games to the Texas Rangers, then winning the next two, and then forcing a game 5 is a crazy way to get a win.  Especially to get the “W” at home!  Canada appreciates this win even more than the first win of the AL East.  If it is even possible, the bars, the entirety of Canada, were even crazier than before!

Next step in the path to the World Series was the American League Championship Series against the Kansas City Royals.  Even with a quick series deficit for the Jays, your fans stayed beside you, thinking we can do this again.  While you were on the field, Canada was standing beside you.  People who did not typically watch baseball became quick fans so that they could support “Canada’s Team”.  Even though you lost, Canadians stood beside you and cheered, saying “that is our team”!  Upon losing that final game, do you know what Canadians were saying? “Don’t worry guys, we will get them next year!”  So Canadians would like to pass on their thanks for such an amazing season and an even more exciting season next year.  

Keep your head up boys!

Sincerely,

Your extremely grateful fans

I am currently in my 4th year of Sport Management and a major whiskey enthusiast.  Not necessarily in that order.