This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

We all know that social media trends come and go, like the rise and fall of BeReal. Personally, I found BeReal a challenge. It was really hard to stop what I was doing and take a picture, and I found myself always late to post my BeReal. Most of the time, it’s me sitting and watching TV anyways. 

Recently, a newcomer has emerged onto the scene: Lapse. 

Lapse makes the trend of disposable cameras more accessible to the masses, eliminating the need to get photos developed, and the app puts the focus on not taking the perfect picture, but capturing the experience. There are no limits to posting, no set time to post, or “like” system. Once you take your photo, it takes time to “develop”– essentially, you can’t see the photos until a random time in the day.

I tried the app out for myself, and I honestly really enjoy it! I am not easily impressed by social media apps, but I like the fact I can take a picture  of something I love and not be focused on how it comes out. 

Much like BeReal, the focus is on sharing your pictures with your closest friends. You can choose to share or archive your photos, which come up in a feed. You can add your pictures to albums to share (or keep them private), and react to friend’s pictures. 

All in all, this app seems so much more personal than other photo-sharing apps. You can just share images that make you happy, with no preconceived notions of being perfect. It’s a way to document your experiences in a candid way, and share them with your closest friends. 

Overall, I have high hopes for Lapse, and hope it’s here to stay!

Lapse is currently invite only, but it’s available from the App Store!

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.