This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Christmas, which is observed on December 25, is a holy religious event as well as a global, cultural, and economic phenomenon. Christmas Day is marked by Christians as the anniversary of the birth of the spiritual figure Jesus of Nazareth, whose teachings serve as the foundation of their faith. Popular traditions include giving gifts, putting up Christmas trees, going to church, gathering with loved ones for feasts, and, of course, watching for Santa Claus.

In Nigeria, the holiday of Christmas is widely observed by all citizens, not just those who practice Christianity. Christmas in Nigeria is a time for family celebrations, when many family members join together to enjoy themselves. Most families make trips to the villages to visit grandparents and other elderly relatives. The families that are still in town get together to rejoice and have fun. High-spirit events flourish all throughout the season, from lengthy Christmas Eve parties to carolling, feasting, and gift-giving. On Christmas Eve, many families will have events that go all night long! Then, on Christmas Day, they visit a church to express their gratitude to God, and Christmas trees and ornaments will be present in most homes. There are over 500 different languages spoken in Nigeria, but the three main languages are Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa. In Hausa, Happy/Merry Christmas is ‘barka dà Kirsìmatì’; in Yoruba, it’s ‘E ku odun, e ku iye’dun’; in Igbo, ‘E keresimesi Oma’. Here are some particular traditions and practices connected to Nigerians during Christmas.

CHRISTMAS MEAL

Is Christmas really complete without a Christmas meal? A traditional Christmas meal in Nigeria could include goat, ram, or chicken in addition to turkey. There’s also pounded yam, jollof rice, fried rice, vegetable salad, coleslaw, and “small chops”, which includes puff-puff, samosa, gizdodo, spring roll and meat. These are accompanied with other appetizers and desserts.

CHRISTMAS ATTIRE

Nigerians are known for going all out when it comes to holiday shopping, and most importantly, they choose the most exquisite of all clothing to wear on December 25, regardless of the tribe, religion, or social class. Some families go to great lengths to create unique designs, identical fabrics, or consistent colours for every family member. In some communities, families compete with one another by dressing elaborately for daytime visits, which increases the festive fun and excitement.

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS

Nigerians lavishly decorate for Christmas, much like people do in the majority of other nations. It doesn’t only end when families decorate their windows with gold balls and light strings and put up Christmas trees in their homes. Major commercial malls, as well as office buildings, are lavishly decorated, and the main roadways and boulevards are also illuminated with Christmas lights. In the spirit of the holiday, people go above and beyond to send Christmas-themed cards to friends, family, and coworkers.

Father Christmas

Traditionally, Nigerians’ primary expectation on Christmas Day is a visit from “Father Christmas,”  AKA Santa Claus, to receive gifts and goody bags. Most workplaces and schools hold “Secret Santa” gatherings, where they exchange gifts, make wish lists for Santa, and parents bring their kids to visit the big man in the red suit.

On Christmas day, kids enjoy playing with firecrackers. The church choir performs Christmas carols for the congregation. Friends and family members receive Christmas cards. Family members exchange gifts, and some families may dress their children in new clothes, typically the Christmas attire and visit Father Christmas.

Subomi Aminu

UWindsor '23

Subomi is a graduate from the Communication, Media and Film program at UWindsor. She is a writer and social media team member at hcuwindsor chapter. During her free time, Subomi loves writing poems, cooking and watching documentaries. She plans to go into Marketing and Journalism.