This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I love reading. It’s a fantastic way to experience different worlds and different perspectives. You can learn a lot by reading a book with a main character different from you, and even in fiction authors use their life experiences to draw readers into the worlds they create. It is crucial that we all take the time to read books written by- and include characters who are – different than us because we gain the perspective of someone else in the world, making us more loving and compassionate people. 

So without further ado, here are some of my favourite books written by Black authors. 

1.  Felix Ever After – Kacen Callender 

(TW: bullying, some homophobic slurs) 

Summary: This book follows Felix Love, a black, queer, transgender high school kid who feels like he is unlovable. When an anonymous bully starts harassing Felix – by making a photo gallery out of photos from before his transition, alongside his deadname – he realizes it’s time to be proud of who he is. An amazing story of self-love, self-discovery, and finding self-confidence, you will be rooting for Felix during all steps of his journey. 

Why I Loved It: Not only is Kacen Callender a fantastic writer, using words to paint a vivid picture of the world around Felix, they also show Felix’s emotions with such clarity you can experience how he’s feeling at every step in the story. Callender draws on their own life experiences of coming out and figuring out their identity so the novel has an extra personal touch. You can feel the passion in every paragraph. This book is a love letter to figuring out who you are, and remembering that you are deserving of true love! 

1.  I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings – Maya Angelou 

(TW: rape, racial slurs) 

Summary: This book tells the life story of Maya Angelou, from when she was a young girl to an adult. Maya Angelou is an American poet (I highly recommend you read her other poems!), who spoke out against sexism and racism in a time where it was still dangerous to do so. When she was just a baby, she was sent to live with her grandmother, and only retired to her mother’s side when she was 8. As she grew up, she had to deal not only with violent actions in the world, but violence in her own home, scarring her for the rest of her life. This autobiography tells the story of one of the greatest poets to ever live. 

Why I Loved It: If I could go back in time and meet one person, it would be Maya Angelou. She grew up during a time where it was impossible to be a Black woman, living through WWII, segregation, Jim Crow, and countless events in her own personal life, yet she was still able to create some of the most beautiful poetry I have ever read. She was an inspiration from the second her first published work came out, and continues to be an inspiration today. 

1.  Girls of Paper and Fire – Natasha Ngan 

(TW: rape, fighting) 

Summary: Taking place in a world with three castes, Demon, Moon, and Paper (the lowest caste), a young Paper girl named Lei is ripped from her family, along with 7 other girls. They are taken to the King’s palace, where they become his concubines, trained to pleasure the King. But all is not what it seems. An uprising is brewing and Lei finds herself in the middle of it, along with a secret romance. Forbidden love, espionage, and secrets upon secrets, this book has it all. 

Why I Loved It: This novel featured a classic plot in a new and exciting way. Not only does it combine a forbidden love with the threat of war (something I never grow tired of) it also has two fierce women as main characters. Her writing is fantastic, and really emphasizes the absolute chaos that’s brewing around Lei. She also draws on her own life experiences to make the characters come alive. I read this book in a day, it was that good! It’s definitely one of those books that you just can’t put down. 

1.  The Hate U Give – Angie Thomas 

(TW: racism, violence, police brutality) 

Summary: Starr Carter feels like she’s trapped between two worlds: the poor neighbourhood that she lives in and the prep school she goes to. Until her childhood best friend Kahlil gets shot by police and dies, even though he was unarmed and not doing anything against the law. Being the only witness to Kahlil’s murder, Starr is thrust into the spotlight, and both the newspapers and local gangs are pressuring her to tell the truth of what happened that night. Finally, Starr decides she can’t be silent any longer. Now at the head of the movement, Starr has to decide what’s truly important to her. 

Why I Loved It: This book was written as an homage to the Black Lives Matter movement. Not only is this an important message to send to children, it is an important message for EVERYONE. Told in the perspective of a young girl dealing with racism from strangers and the police, it shows how the children of today can make a big difference in the world. Angie Thomas is a phenomenal writer, and she tells this story with dignity and pride. 

1.  Born a Crime – Trevor Noah 

(TW: racism, racial slurs, and domestic abuse) 

Summary: This autobiography talks about the life of comedian Trevor Noah who was “born a crime.” Trevor Noah lived in South Africa during the worst of Apartheid, which was bad if you were Black, but even worse if you are “coloured” (a term used by Trevor in the book). His mother was Xhosa and his father was Swiss, a pairing that was illegal in South Africa at the time Trevor was born. He couldn’t even walk next to his mother on the street. Trevor spent most of his life feeling left out, and turned to comedy as a way to escape; turns out, he was really good at it. This book shows Trevor’s life journey and how he eventually made it in New York as the host of The Daily Show. 

Why I Loved It: First of all, Trevor Noah is one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen (and  I’ve seen a lot). His jokes are inclusive and never go too far, he makes fun of himself so he can tell jokes about other people. If you watch him on The Daily Show (which I HIGHLY suggest), he makes even the most depressing news funny. He added a comedic twist to his life story which made it highly enjoyable. I laughed the whole way through! He is truly a brilliant man. 

Giulia Vilardi is Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UWindsor. She oversees all HC UWindsor teams and content. She is also responsible for writing and editing articles, as well as posting to HC UWindsor Instagram and TikTok. Giulia primarily writes lifestyle articles relating to campus life, being a woman and STEM, and cool local spots. Beyond Her Campus, Giulia is a Senior in the Behaviour, Cognition, and Neuroscience program at UWindsor. She spends most of her time working as Assistant Director of Communications for a research lab on campus. She is Co-President of SMArt (a UWindsor club for scientists who love art) where she helps provide artistic services to the science community at UWindsor. Giulia is an avid reader and enjoys creating art of all kinds in her free time. She can't get through the day without AT LEAST 3 cups of coffee. She loves listening to music and is always looking for new music recs!