Advice for Myself in First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

As I am in my fourth year of University, I am coming close to completing my degree at the University of Windsor. My experience at U Windsor was great but I like everyone, there are some things I should have done differently, or advice I should have taken more seriously. Here are three things I wish I would have done  differently in my first year.

1. Study harder

I am sure everyone always thinks they can do more to study, but I wish someone would have told me that my GPA does matter. Be it applying for grad school or getting scholarships you should try your hardest to get A’s. I am considering law school myself, and I fully understand how much your GPAs matter. I realized how much easier it would be to get excellent grades to help the future of your success. During the first year in residence, the common phrase was “C’s get degrees,” while this was true, it doesn’t get you the best version of your degree. If I had studied harder, I could have gotten scholarships and more opportunities on campus such as outstanding scholars or being able to do research with professors. Also, just having the satisfaction of getting good greats is an addicting habit that can lead to more motivation and success. Simply put, getting good grades leads to an easier and more successful university experience.

2. Get Involved

In my first year, I didn’t get involved in any clubs or societies. I  regret this because being engaged in any organization leads to networking, personal skill building, and further opportunities. You grow as a person when you put yourself out there and meet new people. Also, being apart of clubs is an excellent way to build your resume because it shows that you can work in a team environment, you are good with time management, and you are passionate about something other than Netflix. I am confident that there is at least one club on campus for every student, so I encourage students ever to find one to be a part of, and experience.

3. You’re going to fail, a lot

This is a bit darker side of the truth, but it is still relevant. You are going to feel stressed; you are going to do badly on a test, you’re going to have financial  trouble, you’re going to wonder if it’s worth it, but I can assure you it is. Experience with failure comes in lessons, and lessons are what university is about. You find out more about yourself and your surroundings with failure than with success. Never let the thought of fear discourage you from doing something. If you fail at something, it’s ok; you understand what you did wrong, and learn from it. So the next time you are offered an opportunity which you fear because of failure, refer to this quote by Mark Twain:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover.”