7 Ways to Celebrate the Start of Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

It’s that time of year, collegiettes! Soon the stress of exams will be a distant memory, and your summer break will be in full swing. Here are a few ways to celebrate your newfound freedom.

1) Do some spring cleaning.

Before you say, “Hey, that sounds like more work!” just hear me out. Doing a big purge of all my things at the end of the school year always makes me feel refreshed and organized. It gives me the opportunity to clear out my personal space in my apartment. I truly believe that a clean space means a clean mind. If you really want to do it up, use this time to rearrange your furniture too! It can instantly make your space feel new and fresh.

2) Buy some flowers.

When spring/summer hits, I love filling my apartment with pretty flowers from my local florist. It really makes me feel like spring has sprung!

3) Read for pleasure.

I really miss reading for pleasure when I’m in school, but when I’m already reading 200-500 pages per week for class, it can be hard to find the motivation to read even more outside of that. But now that school is done, I’m so excited to start reading just for fun! I went to a thrift store for a few cheap finds, and I recently started Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam. I’m in love with it already!

4) Binge-watch some Netflix guilt-free.

I’m pretty bad when it comes to having Netflix on while I study (usually something I’ve seen a million times, like Friends or Family Guy), so I love when it’s finally summer and I can start catching up on everything I’ve been adding to My List all year! So far I’ve been on a documentary kick, and I highly recommend Autism in Love and My Beautiful Broken Brain.

5) Go outside.

It’s finally starting to get warm, so walk to that Starbucks downtown for a frappuccino, or go for a bike ride down by the river, or grab a ball and a friend and play catch outside! Enjoy the warmth while it’s here.

6) Bake a new recipe.

Who says so-called “bikini bodies” can’t have cupcakes in them? Ditch the diet and bake something sweet to celebrate finishing school for the summer. Try Brown Sugar for some sweet recipes.

7) Take a day trip.

Hop on a Greyhound and go somewhere you’ve never been for the day! It doesn’t have to be too far or too expensive… it’s just a day-long adventure. I’m a huge advocate for traveling alone. You get to do exactly what you want, and exploring on your own is so exciting and freeing.

And there you have it! What are you favourite ways to celebrate summer break, collegiettes? Let us know on social media!

Maggie is a 5th year Political Science and Law Specialization student at the University of Windsor. Originally from from Kitchener, Ontario, she is a proud feminist, vegetarian, and Netflix addict. She aspires to figure out what it is she aspires to do. Follow her on Twitter (@MaggieParkhill) or on Instagram (maggieparkhill).