6 Things to Know About Hockey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Hockey: Canada’s national winter sport.  With the cold climate that is found in Canada, it is only fitting that most Canadians participate in a sport that is played on ice.  Even though this is a popular pastime in Canada, some people do not know all the necessary rules and facts to get through a game.  If you are one of those people, here are some basic things to help you get by:

1. Basic Hockey terminology:

Icing: Shooting the puck from one end of the ice to the other.

Offside: A player is not allowed to pass the puck over the blue line to a player that is already over the opposing team’s blue line.

Hockey Mom: The mother of a hockey player.  This is usually someone who can be seen at every practice and game holding a Tim’s cup that does not always contain coffee.

1. It’s a sisterhood/brotherhood like nothing else.

Being on a team is like having a support system that is always there for you.  Teammates will always be there for each other through every loss.  They see each other at their worst and their best.

1. The point of the game is to score on the opposing team’s net.

Well that pretty much sums that up. Put the puck past the other team’s goalie.

1. Referees

These are the guys skating on the ice that are on neither team (though it does not always seem this way).  They wear black and white striped jerseys and typically forget their glasses.

1. Goalies ARE crazy

Who on Earth would be willing to stand in front of a puck being shot at anywhere from 50-100 km/h?  Well, there are people who do choose to do this.  Goalies do have to be a little crazier than the average person to willingly stand in front of a net for an entire game WAITING for someone to shoot a hard plastic object at them at high speeds.

6. No, it isn’t ICE hockey

To all the people that are not from Canada: it is not “ice hockey”.  This beloved Canadian sport is just HOCKEY.  There are no prefixes or suffixes.  Never.

7. Girls’ hockey is a sport too and it can be rough

Body contact may not be permitted in girls hockey, but there are other ways to hit someone on the ice.  The key thing that makes a hit a “body contact” penalty is the dropping of the shoulder. As long as the girl does not drop her shoulder, she can typically get away with a hit.

So, the next time that you are invited to watch a hockey game, whether it is on TV or live, make sure to remember these simple facts to help get you through the game!

I am currently in my 4th year of Sport Management and a major whiskey enthusiast.  Not necessarily in that order.