5 Things that Cheer Me Up When I’m Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Everyone gets into those down moods every now and again. You feel sad for any number of reasons and sometimes you don’t know what to do in order to get your spirits up again. Personally, I do love hanging out with friends and seeing people but if I’m upset or just not in the best of moods, being around people doesn’t help. Here are 5 things that don’t involve social interaction that I recommend trying when you’re feeling blue.

1. Immerse Yourself in Nature.

Nature just makes everyone feel better, whether it be a forest, a beach, or just a small park with a few trees, there’s just something about being outside and around nature that makes me feel better.

2. Watch Sad Movies

Sometimes when you’re sad you just it can actually make you feel better to cry for a different reason. Sad movies are perfect for this. Some recommendations would be My Sister’s Keeper, UP, Bambi, and The Notebook.

3. Food

Now I’m not saying to eat your feelings or anything, but a slice of pie, or a few scoops of ice cream can actually do wonders when you’re upset. Sweet foods just make you feel better.

4. Taking a Drive

This is my personal favourite, there’s nothing that makes me feel better than getting in my car, blasting a good song and just driving around for a while. It’s nice to be alone for a bit and just take some time to yourself.

5. Crafting

Finding a cool craft on Pinterest and giving it a try is a fun way to get your mind off whatever is making you sad. It also gives you a chance to try something new and then you have an adorable craft to show for it when you’re done.

It’s okay to be sad, and as much as lying laying in bed and thinking about why you’re sad is probably what sounds most appealing, give any of these a shot and see if it helps next time you’re feeling down.

Hi everyone, my name is Sadie and I am a third year student studying Sociology. My hobbies include reading, writing, horseback riding, and eating sushi with friends.
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.