2020 Book Releases to Add to Your Shelf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

2020—the year for new goals and new book releases! This year, the anticipation for all the new releases is real, and with so many different themes and topics that are being covered, this is going to be one of the most diverse book publication years yet! In connection to yesterday’s article, here are some books coming out this year that you need to check out. They range from mysteries to romances to everything in-between and are some of my own top reads to check out. 

January

Tweet Cute by Emma Lord – January 21

What’s it about? When 2 rival food chains, a popular burger joint and a family-owned deli, place their children in the roles of controlling the companies’ Twitter pages, an all-out war breaks out. While the 2 may hate each other in real life, their unexpected relationship starts to deepen, and the romance is never perfect until a few secrets start to spill. 

P.S. I actually had a chance to read this one, and it is actually the cutest thing EVER! I’m already telling everyone to go out and read it. 

February

Of Curse and Kisses by Sandhya Menon – February 18

What’s it About? Royals attending an elite boarding school, but throw in a century-old feud between two of the families and things are going to take a spin. Taking on themes from Beauty & the Beast, loyalties cross when the heart starts to choose each other over the family. 

March

Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzales – March 3

What’s it about? First off, it’s a spin on Grease, but with two males as the leads. What was once a summer fling turns into school devastation when one of them is forced to switch schools…to the same one as the summer fling. Changes of love rise when they are forced to choose between each other and their friends. 

April

Verona Comics by Jennifer Dugan – April 21

What’s it about? Two teens falling in love amidst a comic book shop feud—what could be better?! While one character strives to become the next elite cellist, the other believes he’s a disappointment in his parents’ eyes. When the two meet, they know that their relationship can never last due to their families being at odds…unless it is kept a secret.

May

The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly – Jamie Pacton – May 5

What’s it about? Slaying sexism in a medieval-themed restaurant? Let’s get the girl power going! When one girl decides that she is tired of being a “wench” and decides to be a knight, management causes trouble, but internet fame makes things go awry. 

June

Where Dreams Descend – Janella Angeles – June 2

What’s it about? In a city of ruin, magicians take their chances to become the new headlining act at the circus. But when danger strikes, the risk to become the best questions who wants it the most. 

July

Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron  – July 7

What’s it about? Based off of the Cinderella tale, but with an LGBTQ+ twist. Bring in the descendant of Cinderella herself, and this group of girls will do everything in their power to change the ways of the past and allow girls the right to choose their own suitor. 

August

Twin Daggers by MarcyKate Connolly – August 25

What’s it about? Action, adventure, magic, and it’s a spy thriller! Two sisters are some of the last spies with magic, and they are out for revenge. Tasked with overthrowing the thrown from the royals who literally have no heart, these two will risk it all to accomplish their mission. 

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.