Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Recognizing The Signs of Abusive Relationships

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

Please note that this article will contain some sensitive topics. If you are triggered by such topics, I suggest that you read something else. Take care :)

Falling in love and dating someone whom you had a crush for the longest can be one of the most beautiful and exciting moments in your life. We all want to experience love at some point in our lives. Some of us may be ready to come out of the “single phase” and start dating again. Although dating does come with joy and happiness, some relationships may end up hitting way harder than others. When your partner starts becoming aggressive or manipulative, physically or emotionally, the relationship is considered “abusive”. It’s important to know the signs of abusive behavior and how you should act when you realize that your relationship is making you feel trapped. 

What is an abusive relationship?

An abusive relationship can take on many forms. A lot of people may only consider that a relationship is abusive if the person physically violates their partner. This is true, but there are many forms that we need to keep an eye on as well. Physical abuse is when a person uses physical harm towards their partner, whether that be hitting, choking, or any other physical force of nature. This is the most common type of abuse due to its depictions within the media, so many will feel like this type of abuse is the main one to look out for. Sexual abuse occurs when a person performs non-consensual sexual behavior onto their partner. This can range from rape, unwanted touching, sodomy, and other forced sexual acts. Emotional abuse is a bit difficult to identify due to it being dubbed as “unseen”. It’s important to note that if your partner starts to humiliate, gaslight, or verbally name-call you, then it’s emotional abuse. 

When should you end the relationship?

If your partner has been committing any of the acts of abuse, it’s best to follow your heart and end the relationship. It is common that some will stay with their partner despite their actions, solely based on the reasoning on losing them and their love for them. However, if the relationship is causing damage within yourself and your relationships with family and friends, it’s best to leave. Trust me, you are not doing any harm or being mean if you decide to leave a toxic relationship. No one, male or female, deserves to be in an abusive relationship. 

How can you reach out for help?

If you or someone you know has experienced an abusive relationship, know that there are resources out there that can help you. For the national resource, you can reach out to the National Domestic Violence by visiting www.thehotline.org or by calling toll-free 800-799–7233. If you live in the state of Georgia, you can reach out to the Georgia Coalition Against Domestic Violence by visiting https://gcadv.org/get-help/ or by calling 1-800-334-2836. The GCADV provides resources to victims, family, and friends by consulting a plan for safety. They also provide assistance for food, childcare, and housing, as well as career assistance. 

Closing thoughts

As someone who has witnessed abuse, it’s a situation that is both heartbreaking and scary. It’s important to remind yourself that you are worthy of love and kindness, and you deserve someone who will treat you with the utmost respect. If you’re reading this and know that your relationship is filled with (or starting to show) red flags, I highly advise you to leave and reach out for help when you can. Don’t feel the need to stay in an abusive relationship out of fear of loneliness. Know what is right for you and surround yourself with people who will care for you, love you, and treat you like a human being. 

Makalah Wright is the Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at UWG chapter. For the chapter, she has written personal essays about real-life experiences and she encourages readers to take inspiration or learn from it. Beyond her position as the CC, she is also a national writer for the wellness section of the website. So far, she has written articles based on mental health, relationships, and other wellness-related topics. She is a junior at the University of West Georgia, studying in public relations with a minor in music. After her undergrad, she plans to get a masters in communication and work in either music business or the sports industry. She also hopes to create her own foundation that will help with funding for the performing arts in schools. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with loved ones, shopping, traveling to new places, and drinking iced coffee. She also enjoys playing the clarinet and listening to all types of music, specifically jazz.