The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

By Alexys Phenix

Atlanta Talent: HOTTEST NEW CLOTHING BUSINESS

Her Campus UWG is highlighting black-owned businesses that are present at the university. Over the course of the semester, we will be interviewing various businesses and entrepreneurs to promote them and raise awareness! We have recently interviewed Nijah Searls who told us a little bit about her unique business. 

What inspired you to start a business?

I wanted my money to make money. I’ve learned successful people have more than one source of income. I’d also like to pass something down to my children. So when they turn 16 they can run the business instead of working at a fast food place being overworked and underpaid. I also like to spend a lot of money. So it’s either I make more of it or spend less and I’m going with the first option. 

What have been some obstacles you have faced and how did you overcome them?

An obstacle I faced with starting a clothing line is the capital to invest in it. It takes money to make money so I overcame it by stepping back to devise a business plan. I decided it has to be run as a legitimate business. So I decided to put my place on Airbnb to generate some capital to invest in my business. I also plan on starting a vending machine business because the startup cost is low and the profit earns come close to immediate. 

What is your business?

Atlanta Talent is a clothing business that represents talent and creatives in Atlanta. That goes for actors, singers, poets, entrepreneurs, etc. 

If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?

Persistent

How did you get started acting, and being in the entertainment industry?

I started at UWG actually. I did a poetry showcase called Pages of Our Diary and the feeling on stage was unmatched. I was too scared to tell my parents I no longer wanted to pursue Psychology and be an actor. So as soon as I graduated I started looking into classes. Here we are  5 years later.

Do you think attending the UWG and the organizations you were involved in influenced your decision on starting a business?

No. I wasn’t in any business classes or organizations that influenced my decisions on starting or business or acting. If I would have taken business classes or theater classes it might have had an influence.

Nijah’s socials can be found on these platforms: Personal Instagram, Business Instagram