Which Halloween Movie You Should Watch Based on Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Here are the movies you should watch this Halloween, based on your major.

Archaeology majors: The Goonies

Archaeologists dream of that “x-marks-the-spot” scenario. Finding a map in an attic that leads you straight to an archaeological gold mine? Yes, please. Stay tuned for the cringe-worthy destruction of artifact provenience on this site. (Bonus: the truffle shuffle)

Political Science majors: The Purge: Election Year

Nothing screams the science of politics like a government sanctioned bloodbath. Is this “the American way”? Tell me; are there any similarities between our current presidential elections and the movie’s scenario?

Biology majors: Frankenweenie

Mr. Rzykruski has some serious words of wisdom for you. I mean, I’m not saying that you can relate to Young Victor Frankenstein as a lonely science nerd with a resurrected dog as your only friend… but perhaps, if the lab coat fits…

Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science majors: Friday the 13th

You want to see people enjoying some leisure time by a beautiful lake? You want to see them running as though their lives depend upon it? Then this is the movie for you. Though, I’m not sure how health fits in…

Social Science majors: The Babadook

Oh, the intense metaphor: grief, anger, depression and a terrifying monster that emerged from reading a children’s book. If it’s in a word or if it’s in a book, you can’t get rid of the message from this psychological thriller.

Theatre majors: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

I thought that you might be tired of “The Time Warp” by now but judging by the excellent show the UWF Theatre Department recently put on, you can pelvic thrust all year! This musical/comedy/horror film will put you right for Halloween – agaaain.

Global Hospitality and Tourism majors: Psycho (1960)

Approximately twenty minutes into this classic Hitchcock slasher, you’ll realize that Norman Bates is not exactly an ideal motel proprietor. With “twelve vacancies. Twelve cabins, twelve vacancies,” the hospitality is seriously lacking at the Bates Motel.

Nursing majors: The Human Centipede

Hold on to your lunch because Dr. Heiter wants you to share with your friends. Honestly, my stomach is churning at the thought of this movie and no, I don’t have gastroenteritis or a food-borne illness. I’m just disgusted.

Communication majors: Scream

“Do you like scary movies?” I probably don’t have to explain why this critically acclaimed movie fits with your major because you already know. Scream is a clever play on recurring clichés in horror films. It’s definitely a scream.

Education majors: Monsters University

It’s a heartwarming tale of a monster who dreamt of college since childhood. He befriends a classic group of misfits and they teach us that teamwork, trust, knowledge and talent are the keys to success at college.

History majors: From Time to Time

Walk with Tolly as he travels back in time to discover the secrets of his grandmother’s haunted house. Unfortunately, you history majors are able to pick out every discontinuity but… try to ignore it.

Art majors: Corpse Bride

The gorgeous claymation is enough to make anyone’s heart pitter-patter, except the bride’s (but pulses are “overrated by a mile,” anyway). You’re bound to enjoy the beauty and intricacy of each frame in this fantasy film.

Criminal Justice majors: Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Follow Johnny Depp’s Ichabod Crane as he investigates the decapitations of multiple locals in the quaint town of Sleepy Hollow. And remember: “villainy wears many masks, none of which so dangerous as virtue.”

Environmental Science majors: The Hills Have Eyes

Set in a government established atomic zone, this horror will have you running for the hills. The “genetic effects caused by the radioactive fallout” and the plight of the people affected will tug at your environmentalist heart – even if they are murderous.

Business majors: American Psycho

A wealthy and handsome New York investment banker is living the life. Ironically, he’s also squeezing the life out of nearly fifty people. If you find yourself with an inferior business card, this movie will provide helpful instruction (that’s a joke, don’t kill people).

Computer Engineering majors: The Den

This is the quintessential “webcamming-gone-wrong” scenario. My mom keeps a Charlie Brown bandage taped across her laptop’s webcam for this reason. Hacking, murdering, kidnapping galore… all because Elizabeth had to go and log into “The Den.”

International Studies majors: Van Helsing (2004)

Take a journey with Van Helsing to Transylvania to deal with a few bloodthirsty locals. Van Helsing must interact with apprehensive Transylvanians to destroy Count Dracula and his offspring. These are not the international relations you’d aspire to have.

Psychology majors: Shaun of the Dead

You could tear apart the psychological makeup of any disturbed villain but this movie will make you laugh instead. Shaun is disrespected, boring, estranged from his parents, and trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. Have fun picking his brains! 

P.S. Can you wait for M. Night Shyamalan’s Split? We can’t!

You should, of course, still watch the classics. Hocus Pocus, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloweentown, the Scary Movie series, Practical Magic… these are essential in truly experiencing the spirit of Halloween. But watching a Halloween movie that lights your intellectual candle? Real collegiettes like you dig that stuff.

Thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

You'll find me in my hammock between classes, drooling over volcano sushi rolls, or cross stitching in silence. I'm a maritime studies student with a dream of working on oceanic documentaries or founding Atlantis, whichever comes first.