david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ultimate Guide to Halloween for UWF Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Halloween is such an awesome time of the year. The weather becomes a degree cooler and we can finally pull out those boots that we can wear about three times a year. But, now that we are semi-adults and trick-or-treating is looked down upon at our age, what is there to do? Well, here are a few things, both scary and not-so-scary, that we can do around town for this free candy time of year.

Gulf Breeze:

Boo at the Zoo

This is a great event if you want some not-scary fun. It’s designed for younger audiences, but who says we’re not children at heart? It’s Oct. 29 and 30 and the cost is $15. It involves a trick-or-treat trail, face painting, bounce houses, critter touch station, and all your favorite animals out and about. The event starts at 10am and goes until 4pm. The Zoo does encourage everyone to wear a costume, but just make sure that it is family friendly.

Pensacola:

Rocky Horror Picture Show

This show starts on October 28 and runs through the 31, with a few selects dates in the beginning of November at the Pensacola Little Theater. It is part of Foo Foo Fest, and doubles as a fundraising event. You can dress up as your favorite characters and supply the callbacks during the performance. Admission starts at $25.

Haunted House Walking and Trolley Tours

These tours take place on October 28 and 29. There are three different walking tours to choose from: Seville Spirits, Murder & Mayhem, and the Adult-Only Red-light Tour. Seville Spirits start every thirty minutes between 7 p.m. and 8:30 pm. It takes you through Seville Square to encounter all the ghosts that live there. Murder & Mayhem also departs every thirty minutes, starting from 7pm and going until 8:30 p.m. This tour shares the histories of the ghosts that live on Pensacola’s most haunted street. Lastly, there is the Adult-Only Red-light Tour, which departs from 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. This tour takes you down Palafox Street to learn about the historic red-light district. Each tour lasts about an hour and each cost $15.

There is also Trolley of the Doomed tours at 6:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m., and 8:30 p.m. It takes you up to North Hill to learn about the ghosts that still live in those historic homes. You do not get off the trolley and it is less scary than the walking tours. It costs $20 for the trolley.

Kid’s Carnival at the Pier

As mentioned above, this event happens at Casino Beach Bar and Grille on October 29. This event is also free. Unlike the one above, this one is available to all ages. Local businesses will be lining the pier with games and, of course, candy.

Haunted Carnival

This event is only for people 21 and older. It takes place at Casino Beach Bar and Grille on Oct. 29 and is free. Here, you can experience the freak shows, fire breathers, and lots more. It all starts at 9 p.m. after the Kids’ Carnival at the Pier and lasts until 3 a.m.

Seville Quarter Halloween Costume Contest

The costume contest is at Phineas Phogg’s in Seville Quarter on Oct. 31. Registration starts at 7 p.m. and the contest begins at 9 p.m. and it is open to anyone 21 and up. The best part: First prize receives $1,000 cash for the best costume. Along with other prizes for the top 20 costumes. Afterward, the party continues all through Seville Quarter Haunted Complex. It’s $10 to compete and get in on the fun.

Fall Festival

A lot of churches around town do a Fall Festival instead of Halloween. So, if Halloween really isn’t your thing, but you still want to get candy, then here are a few churches you can head to:

• Olive Baptist
  • Woodbine United Methodist Church
  • Northridge Church

Milton:

Whispering Pines Christmas Tree Farm Haunted Hayrides

This event takes place on October 24, 25, 30 and 31. So many days to get in on the hayriding fun! There are different hayrides you can go on. The first one is rather simple, but full of scares as you just ride through the woods. The second one gives you a paintball gun to shoot down the zombies that chase after you. This also doubles as early Christmas fun: If you tag a tree – you can come back after Thanksgiving and take it home with you! The hayrides cost $10 a piece.

Corn Maze

Every year, Sweet Season Farms creates a family-friendly corn maze that is different every year. It has eight acres for you to get lost in. There is even a kiddie maze if you don’t feel like doing the whole thing. You can get the Whole Cob Admission for $10.50 (plus tax) which allows unlimited access to everything on the farm (but only one turn at the Corn Cannon). Another option is the Half Cob at $9.50 (plus tax) per ticket, which gives you unlimited hayrides and walks through the corn maze. Lastly, there is the Flash Light Maze that is also $10.50 (plus tax). You can do the whole maze, along with a few other activities, at night.

Grown-Up Trick or Treat

Dress up in your favorite costume and give yourself a self-guided tour through Milton’s bars – putting a nice Halloweeny spin on a pub crawl. Cove Pub is a good place to start and you’ll end up at Stevie D’s Pub. Then, you can stroll the Blackwater River as you wait for your Uber to arrive.

UWF:

Fright Night – CAB

Fight Night includes a haunted house put on by the clubs around UWF. It’s from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Oct. 29. There will also be treats and drinks for those faint of heart.    

Pumpkin Decorating with Her Campus

Come join Her Campus on October 31 to decorate your own pumpkin! They will be out in the breezeway of the Commons from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Who doesn’t want their own pumpkin for Halloween?

Halloween Hike

UWF will host games and other fun for a family-friendly hike on the boardwalk. At night, there is a scarier hike in the woods. The only light is the glow stick that they provide you with. Admission is free and it takes place on October 27.

Evangeline Murphy is currently studying to get her BA in English: Creative Writing at University of West Florida. You can usually find her in her room, under a fluffy blanket watching Disney movies or reading. She hopes to use to degree to be an editor. Being paid to read is the dream.