Kappa Delta Chi Diversifies the Argo Nation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

A new sorority is coming onto UWF’s campus this semester, and they have one main goal in mind: promoting diversity through unity. Kappa Delta Chi, Inc. is a latino-based multicultural sorority that puts a large emphasis on conducting service projects and promoting cultural awareness.

In the Spring of 2016,  Deni Avelar and Alicia Gonzalez created an interest group to bring the sorority on campus. With tireless effort, they were able to gather a group of eight other women who would become the charter line for Kappa Delta Chi at UWF.

This past week, the Ladies in Pink (the official name of the KDChi interest group) met the last of their requirements to establish Kappa Delta Chi at UWF. They had to raise $500, complete founding member applications, conduct a service project, host an event and host sisterhood events within the month of September to fulfill all requirements.

The Ladies in Pink will be completing the new member process through the months of October and November with the guidance of KDChi’s from Florida State University. The Ladies in Pink will be hosting a “coming out” presentation to mark the coming of Kappa Delta Chi, Inc. onto the University of West Florida’s campus in late November.

Jaci Green, treasurer of the interest group, said, “having KDChi on campus will begin to open minds, excite hearts and inspire others to be accepting of each other.”

Kappa Delta Chi will provide an option for girls hoping to join a sorority that embraces and promotes cultural diversity and makes them feel at home. KDChi will be the third organization to join UWF’s Multicultural Greek Council, a council that the ladies of KDChi hope to see continue to grow as UWF continues to grow in size, standard and diversity.

Leonie is a first-year student at the University of West Florida in sunny Pensacola, Florida. When she isn't studying for her MCAT prerequisites, Leonie loves to dance, whether it's by herself, with her dance teammates, or teaching a Zumba class. She is currently working on a super exciting ALS/Schizophrenia research project with a laboratory in Dublin. "Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore, to this day."
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs