Her Campus UWF’s Hunk of the Month: Rosheen Blackmon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

University of West Florida Hunk of the Month recognizes positive influential men in our community. This September’s “Hunk” is none other than Rosheen Blackmon! Blackmon can be found all over campus sporting his green jacket and dancing through life.

He is a senior graduating in the spring majoring in Psychology with a minor in child welfare and pursuing a human resources certificate.  He wants to become a high school guidance counselor because “[he] wants to positively impact the generations after [him].”

He chose to come to UWF because he liked the smaller community and family type atmosphere. His favorite place to volunteer at is the Ronald McDonald House.

“Community to me I see as a group of different people who have similar values striving to make the aspects of where they live or what they do to benefit the people around them,” said Blackmon.

Some of the organizations Blackmon is involved in at UWF are UWF Men, The International Honor Society in Psychology (Psi Chi), Lambda Beta Chapter of Sigma Chi, University Student Ambassador, National Society of Leadership and Success, and W.E.B Du Bois Honor Society. He also participated in Dance Marathon numerous times on the morale team and once as the Membership Director. Along with those organizations, he has also been an Argo Camp Counselor at Argo Camp.

Something special Blackmon is also involved in is the Peer Educator program, which is not an organization, but it is a job where he gets to talk to different students all the time informing them about potential college student decisions.

“I believe that being a part of something that is bigger than myself is what I like the most whether it’s raising money for children with Dance Marathon or the Huntsman Cancer Institute or cleaning up a beach or a park.”

The person that inspires Blackmon most is his mom.

“She has always been there for me when I needed her, and her love was completely unconditional. She is probably the strongest person I have ever known.”

Sigma Chi is extremely important to Blackmon emotionally because as a fraternity they raise money for cancer research to donate to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. This is significant for Blackmon because his mother passed away from breast cancer his junior year of high school when he was only 17.  

Blackmon’s advice for people who are looking to get involved in their community is,

“Use [your] actions to benefit the community as a whole. To look and see what the community needs and focus on progression.”

Thank you, Blackmon for the wonderful interview and sharing your story, time and love to our UWF community!

GO ARGOS!

This is the anonymous Her Campus UWF account.
Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.