5 Reasons Why I March for Black Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

The March for Black Women is happening all over the country. The March for Black Women is a time for black women and allies to come together and speak about the struggles and pains of black women. Black women and allies march for black women for so many reasons, but we all march for a better future for black women. Here are five reasons I March for Black Women.  

1. Misogynoir

Misogynoir is the hatred, distrust and prejudice directed toward black women. The French Open banning Serena Williams’ catsuit is an example of misogynoir. Williams’ catsuit is more than a fashion statement. The suit is designed to help prevent blood clots. After giving birth, Williams experienced a near-fatal blood clot in her lung. Wearing this catsuit helps prevent her from developing anymore blood clots. The catsuit is not revolutionary in the world of tennis. Anne White, a white tennis player, wore a white catsuit at Wimbledon in 1985. White’s catsuit put her on the map and was praised for being unique. The French Open doesn’t have a reason for banning Williams catsuit other than they are prejudice against Williams.

2. Over-Sexualization of Black Women

Women alone are already a sex symbol, but to be black and a woman, means society sees you as a savage half dressed vixen.  During Barack Obama’s presidency, his wife Michelle Obama was constantly subjected to oversexualization by the media. After Obama released her official photo as first lady, conservatives went wild because the photo showed her arms. One conservative, Bobbie Lussier, even went as far as to say Obama doesn’t look or act like a first lady because she is showing her arms. Meanwhile, Melania Trump is the only first lady to have ever posed naked, and conservatives didn’t have an issue with that. There is an undeniable double standard when it comes to women of color.

3. Discrimination Against Black Women’s Natural Hair

Black girls have been told by their schools that their hair isn’t appropriate. Nicole Orr a 16-year-old at Montverde Academy was told by her school to “get her hair done.” Orr was told by her school that her naturally curly hair was not appropriate and that she must tame her hair before she can attend the school again. Telling young black women that in order for them to be professional or taken serious, they must alter their curls by ironing it is damaging to their self-esteem. Montverde Academy and other schools telling black women to alter their appearance has nothing to do with these women not looking professional. They just want black women to adhere to Eurocentric beauty standards.

4. Culturally Limiting Hair Brands

Over the recent years, black women have pushed to embrace natural hair. For decades, black women have relaxed their hair, worn wigs, extensions or weaves to make their hair fit in with Eurocentric beauty standards. Black women today are embracing their beautiful curls and hair textures. However, mainstream hair brands need to catch up. Culturally limited brands ostracize women with ethnically different hair. When black women see all of these culturally limited hair products, it makes them feel as though their hair care needs are not as important. Brands need to be inclusive for all diverse backgrounds because all hair types, cultures, races and genders are equal and valid.

5. Sexual Harassment

Women are sexually harassed on a daily basis, but studies show that black women get it worse. Black women started the “You ok, Sis?” movement to combat street harassment. The “You ok, Sis?” movement is a bystander intervention tactic designed to help black women who are being sexually harassed. Stop Street Harassment, an advocacy group, did a survey of 2,000 respondents, and people of color experienced higher and more violent levels of sexual harassment. Forty-eight percent of black women experienced verbal abuse and only 36 percent of white women did. Thirty-eight percent of black women reported physically aggressive harassment and only 27 percent of white women did. The sexual harassment of women in general needs to stop but so does the difference in how black women and white women are treated.

I march for black women because women like me deserve a better life and a better future. We will continue the fight our mothers and sisters began until we reach equality.

Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.