13 Reasons We’re Happy It’s Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

It’s time! IT’S TIME!

September 22nd is the First Day of Fall. Rejoice, fellow Autumnians, for no longer must we hear criticism regarding our enthusiasm for all things pumpkin! No longer must we whisper our orders at Starbucks (“venti PSL, please…”) or hide our pie filled Pinterest boards for fear of condemnation! The sun has finally set on summer’s sticky smirk. Here are 13 reasons why we love autumn:

1. Body-forgiving sweaters are in fashion again so it’s acceptable to mainline snickerdoodle cookies and turkey gravy.

2. Fall is Festival Season in Pensacola. The Pensacola Seafood Festival, the Greek Festival, Perdido Key Oktoberfest, Festa Italiana, the Pensacola Interstate Fair, the Foo Foo Festival, the Arts Festival, the Naval Aviation Station Airshow… the list goes on!

3. Halloween! Double trouble, black cats, pumpkin carving, candy for days, horror movies, and fake blood galore!

4. The humidity and the temperature are falling. This means we have better hair and we aren’t disgustingly sweaty. Even our vaginas like autumn because they stay cool and dry (unlike that nasty summer season).

5. Hay bale rides and corn mazes! Nothing screams autumn like getting lost in a field of vegetables.

6. Thanksgiving is coming. Prepare to stuff your face with turkey, pies, mashed potatoes, rolls and your favorite family dishes. Try to forget the legend behind the holiday (the beginning of the genocide of an indigenous people) and just focus on Grandma’s special macaroni and cheese… 

7. Yoga pants and leggings and boots and booties and thick socks!

8. It’s “cuffing season” which means that if you’re close to someone, you’ll probably be in a relationship by Christmas. Something about the chilly weather makes us want to latch onto each other and snuggle for months. It’s like hibernation for single people.

9. Fall decorations are incredibly cute. Have you walked through the $1 section in Target, yet? What about the Old Time Pottery store? Pumpkin shaped candle holders, burlap wrapped Mason jars, cute little scarecrows, and cornucopia baskets all over the place! I just can’t help myself.

10. The new Disney movie, Moana, will come out on Thanksgiving weekend. It features an adventurous young woman, Moana, voiced by Auli’i Cravalho, who journeys out into the South Pacific with the legendary demi-god, Maui, voiced by Dwayne Johnson. The trailer has us squeaking with excitement!

11. Pumpkin. Spice. Lattes.

12. Election Day! November 8th, 2016. It’s the beginning of the end of the presidential race. Do some research, get registered and exercise your right to vote!

13. Bonfires, s’mores, weenies on a stick!

Bottom line, Autumn is the best season of the year and you can’t deny it. Welcome, crunchy leaves and crisp air! Welcome, Fall!

You'll find me in my hammock between classes, drooling over volcano sushi rolls, or cross stitching in silence. I'm a maritime studies student with a dream of working on oceanic documentaries or founding Atlantis, whichever comes first.