Why You Should Study Abroad (Especially Your First Year)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

It is a new school year and with new school years, come new beginnings, why not start those new beginning finding information about studying abroad, here’s 7 reasons why you should study abroad (especially if you’re a first-year student) 

Learning outside of the classroom

When studying abroad, there tends to be more outside of the classroom curriculum, weather it is visiting a museum, visiting a school, talking to the locals, or visiting a non-profit etc. Even outside of school, if you take a walk around the neighborhood you are living in you can find monuments, parks, festivals, and meet people that will teach/show you more about the culture and history of the country.   

New life experiences

Studying abroad takes you out of your everyday habits of life and takes you out of your comfort zone, which can then lead you to do things that maybe you’ve always wanted to do but were too afraid. Not only that, you’re also going to meet people inside and outside of the program that can change your views or encourage you to do new things. 

Meeting people

Like I previously mentioned, you’ll be meeting people from inside and outside of your program. The people that you meet inside the program can develop into a great friendship and you might have never meet them if it wasn’t for the study abroad and the same goes with the people that you meet outside of the program. The really cool thing about meeting people outside of the program is that you’ll meet people from the area and from around the world.  

Major decision

Going on a study abroad can help with the decision of your major, your experiences while on the study abroad can either reassure your major, make you decided that maybe its not for you, or if you went on the study abroad undecided, you might leave with knowing what major you want to go into. 

Traveling

Traveling in general is an amazing opportunity and the number of things that’ll you’ll learn from traveling are endless. 

Community

You build a community with in school and outside of school and usually with in those communities there are strong connection that are built through the study abroad because of the experiences. This is especially really great for first year students because when you’re new to campus, you might feel lonely and like you do not have a place at your university but in study abroad you develop a community. 

Life changing

One way or another study abroad will definitely make an impact on your life, it can change the way you look at your own life and can create change within yourself. The growth that you get from study abroad is real. 

Gloria Gonzalez-Zapata is born and raised in Seattle,Washington. Currently she is a first year student at University of Washington Bothell and is majoring in Law,Economics, and Public policy with a minor in Arabic Both of her parents are immigrants, her mother is from Panama and her father is Mexican. she also has a brother and three younger sisters. Her favorite activities are spending time with her family, volunteering, working, and especially loves to travel to learn about other countries government, culture, and language.