This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Spring Break is coming up and before you know it, summer break will literally be here in the blink of an eye. I already know in the next couple of months I already have a few trips lined up, and all of this planning has made me super passionate about planning smarter, so on my vaca I can play harder. So here are a couple tips and tricks I have learned while planning for my various vacations.

1. Use incognito mode for EVERYTHING

I recently tried to book a flight to LA for Valentines Day weekend. I had been checking the flights for a couple days in a row leading up to my paycheck, but by the time I got paid, they were too expensive. One of my good friends had asked when I told him the bad news if I was in incognito mode when I was searching. He told me that by using incognito mode, the internet cannot track your data and will be less likely to hike up the prices. The internet keeps track of everything you do, so if you’re booking flights or hotels or other activities, use incognito mode so you have a better chance of getting the cheaper deal when you need it. 

2. Tuesdays, Tuesdays, Tuesdays

When I told my mom I was going on vacation, she would constantly tell me to wait for Tuesday to by them. I didn’t believe her at first when she said that, but sure enough, when I was looking for flights on Tuesdays, the original flight I was looking at had decreased by twenty bucks. According to alternativeairlines.com, “apparently, this is due to airlines announcing deals on Monday evenings. By Tuesday at noon, other airlines are trying to match those deals” (Mills). So there you have it. Always buy on Tuesdays.

3. Take Public Transportation

Let’s face it, traveling under the age of 21 sucks. As I am taking vacations before I turn 21, I don’t have the ability to rent a car. But since I am vacationing in WA, public transportation in general is everyone’s best friend. You don’t have to rent a car to have a good vacation. While you might have more control having your own car, taking the train or the bus saves you so much money in the long run. Plus, if you take the train, you don’t have to worry about traffic or driving in general. 

4. Do Your Research!!

Overall, the best parts about vacation are the weeks leading up to it when you’re planning everything you want to do once you reach your destination. So in the weeks before your vacation, when you have some time, start making a basic itinerary, so when you arrive, you know exactly where you want to go, how you’re getting there, and what you might need. And always look for good deals on attractions using sites like Groupon to find fun activities for cheap. And even if you don’t end up following your itinerary to a T, it’s also fun finding places you didn’t initially think of going to. It’s all part of the adventure, right?

The next couple months are going to be quite the busy ones for a lot of us. But in my opinion, life is too short to sit around, so go on vacation. Like now. And enjoy it :D

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.
Prathyusha Pillari is a 19-year-old senior at University of Washington, Bothell where she majors in Computer Science and Software Engineering. She was born in India and spent 14 years of her life there before moving to the United States. She is an advocate of women's rights and equality. She loves creative writing, traveling, driving around in her car and stalking people on Instagram.