Are Physical Books Really Better Than E-Books?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

Something that may surprise people who have never interacted with book communities is that they can be surprisingly toxic when it comes to the debate of physical books versus digital books.

It’s a shockingly contentious topic. Some in these communities, particularly online, have a vehement hatred for E-books and their users, claiming that reading doesn’t even count if you don’t use a “real” book. There are lots of memes like this one…and this one…and this one…and this one…that disparage E-book users.

However, there is also much to be said in favor of those E-books, and as someone who has used both for many years, it’s worth exploring: are either of them truly superior?

Physical Books: In Favor

1.  Reading physical books can help people reconnect to their past, as there is more history behind the physical book.

2.  It’s a more tactile, even nostalgic experience, from the smell to the feeling on one’s fingers. To those who are accustomed to this, e-books can feel detached.

3.  They’re easier to lend and share with others, or to pass down through a family.

4.  They’re easier to become emotionally attached to and can store memories through personalization.

5.  Physical books have significant longevity; we can see a precedent for books that last hundreds of years under proper treatment.

Physical Books: Against

1.  Physical books take up a lot of space and are difficult to travel with.

2.  Physical copies of books are usually more expensive than digital ones.

3.  They contribute to paper waste.

4.  Books can be extremely uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time and can lead to hand cramping or general soreness.

5.  Physical books are less accessible to people with eyesight concerns or dyslexia, especially since large print books are not the norm and can be more expensive than the standard print.

Digital Books: In Favor

1.  E-books are easy to travel with, needing little more than one’s preferred electronic device. You can have hundreds of books constantly available, no matter where you are.

2.  You can read in the dark without a book light.

3.  Digital books generate less waste.

4.  They’re usually cheaper than physical copies of books.

5.  E-books are easier to hold, as many devices have stands or can be leaned against a pillow.

6.  Digital books are highly customizable, allowing you to adjust font and font size, which is much more accessible to those with eyesight or processing concerns.

Digital Books: Against

1.  While e-books are cheaper than physical books, this does not account for the cost of the device, which may have to be bought repeatedly over the years.

2.  The device must be kept charged, which is especially difficult when traveling beyond the home.

3.  Unless you specifically have a device dedicated to E-books, the screens often make it very difficult to read outside.

4.  Staring at screens for long periods of time is extremely damaging to the eyes due to the blue light. It can cause eyestrain and make it difficult to sleep, which is unfortunate when most adults have the free time for reading right before bed.

5.  E-book copies are much more difficult to become emotionally attached to.

6.  There’s no way to share them with others.

I have read many books both in physical copy and digitally – the latter more so in the past couple of years of the pandemic. The experience isn’t as different as you might expect if you’ve not used both yourself.

Not too long ago, I would’ve argued highly in favor of physical books. However, now that I’ve experienced the pros and cons of both to the point that, while most days I’d rather read from a physical book, an e-book is perfectly comparable and even preferable in some scenarios. In the future, I intend to continue utilizing both methods of relaying the medium.

Each side has its merits and its faults, and it’s not important which side you fall on, or if you’re in the middle like me – or, heck, if you ditch both and go for audiobooks! If we like reading books; does it matter so much how we like to read them? All that really matters is that everyone can read what they want in a way that works for them.

After all, haven’t we been told all along not to judge a kindle by its cover?

Tessa Denton is a senior student at the University of Washington, Bothell, double majoring in Culture, Literature, and the Arts; and Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies. Tessa loves to write, read, spend time outside, thrift for knickknacks she doesn't need, and spoil her cat.