What Ever Happened to Reading About Fashion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

As millennials, we face various stereotypes. A lot of these stereotypes relate back to the misconception that we favor everything innovative over traditional. For example, it is assumed that we would rather read on a Kindle or Nook than from an actual book. And while there are many advantages to said technology advancements, nothing can compare to having an actual book. No, I’m not just saying they look prettier on coffee tables or more Instagram-worthy. Actual books can be passed down between generations, shared with loved ones, and give us a much needed break from all those screens. Now, I’m sure you are wondering what this has to do with fashion. Well, one of the best ways to learn about fashion is to read about it. No, I’m not talking about some thousand page book on the origins of fashion in society. I’m talking about books on personal style, cool designers, and inspiring trends. Not sure where to get started? Here are my top three favorite fashion books:

1. Parisian Chic: Say what you want, but this book does a fantastic job at encapsulating minimalist style. I know Parisian style sounds overrated, but, please, read this book. It will help you downsize your wardrobe and create a signature style.

2. Grace: Step aside, Anna Wintour! Grace Coddington offers a sharp, insightful, and charming book on her life in the fashion industry. For those of you interested in the editorial side of the industry, this book is for you.

3. Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty: This book changes lives. No, make that, McQueen changed lives. He revolutionized the industry by introducing us to a bold, dark, and daring side of fashion. Although he tragically passed away in 2010, it’s comforting to know that his legacy lives on. This book is a beautiful homage to his life and influence on the industry. 

No matter how much the fashion industry evolves, we will always have books. 

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout