Wellness

Ways to Be Your Own Soulmate During Shark Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Everyone has that friend with the perfect partner. The one that has the cycle on lock, and is prepared with chocolate, magazines, and Rom Coms. Since we can’t all have that, it’s time that we learn to come in clutch for ourselves. It’s more fun than it sounds!

All of the Pain Killers

It’s gonna hurt. No matter what you do there is going to be a point where you’d rather just disappear into the abyss. Fight this urge with one of the countless brands of pain killers. You need all the help you can get. 

Chocolate

Chocolate just tastes better when you’re on your period. And now is when you have the best excuse for truly going to town! 

Comfortable Clothing

Who has the energy for a crop top and a mini skirt when your uterus is practically rioting? Dig out the sweats, loose t-shirts, and uggs. Nobody is worth impressing during this.

#SelfCareSunday Every Day

Even if you religiously follow the ways of the hashtag, you don’t need to limit your self-care to just Sundays! Make every day count and give your masks a run for their money. Trashy magazines encouraged. 

Lots of Leisure

Tampon commercials are such a lie. Nobody wants to run a marathon, scale a mountain, or play an impromptu game of beach volleyball during their period. Embrace the sloth; make it your own. 

Retail Therapy

You might feel like garbage and sadness, but you can make things a little brighter with a dent in your Amazon wishlist. Didn’t think it was practical to drop $90 on a new sheet set, or $130 on winter boots? Worry no more, it all makes sense. 

Food Frenzy

Period calories don’t count. Whatever your comfort food is, make it plentiful. Sure your bestie has someone to make her a full gourmet meal, but you can be just as extra. Unleash your inner Julia Child!

Guilty Pleasure TV

Not moving from your sofa for six hours while you binge watch How to Get Away With Murder may not seem like the best use of your time, but it’s best in the long run. Shonda Rhimes would be so proud. 

Your Drink of Choice

There are many ways to get through a period, and it’s not a requirement to be sober the whole time. Find your bliss and push through the pain. 

Girl Time

Everyone has different needs on their periods. Whatever you’re into, make it a full girl gang bash. Order takeout, go out on the town, or just pick ridiculous fights for the fun of it. It’s not like they can call you over emotional. 

Shark Week is never going to be fun experience. It’s uncomfortable, inconvenient, and just wildly unnecessary. But with some preparation, and a can-do attitude, you can almost make it bearable!

Stephanie Zengler is a Business Administration major and Communication Studies minor, and she completely understands if you think her last name is actually Ziegler. Like a lot of business majors, Stephanie has a favorite Andrew Carnegie quote, and like a good communication minor, has very strong opinions on the Oxford comma. Aside from being a Stout student, Stephanie is an avid fan of Bay Area sports, Fleetwood Mac, and the amazingly perfect show Dollface.