Track and Field Star: Lydia Meier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Lydia Meier

Major: Cross Media Graphics Management, Minor in Web Technology

Year: Junior

Hometown: Middleton, WI

HC: How long have you been doing Track and Field? What got you into it?

LM:  I have been competing in track since I was in 8th grade, but I’ve been doing college throwing since freshman year. My grandpa got me into the idea of sports, so I tried a couple in middle school and track was the one where you didn’t have to be good to make the team, which I liked. I was never the best athlete in High School.

HC: What event do you compete in?

LM: I am a Thrower. My specialties include Hammer Throw (outdoor), Discus (outdoor), and Weight Throw (Indoor).

HC: What has your experience been like on the UW-Stout Track and Field team?

LM: The Stout track team has really been one of the best parts of my college experience. The people I have met and the training I have gone through has really changed me for the better. I can honestly say I wouldn’t be the person I am today without this team. 

HC: What kind of success have you had in your Track and Field career thus far?

LM: I am currently the leading thrower in the nation and hopefully I will win the National Title. On March 11th and 12th, two other throwers and I will be competing at the National NCAA indoor track meet.

HC: How do you prepare for a meet?

LM: Two nights before a meet I get a good night’s sleep and make sure to drink lots of water and eat enough food. The day before a meet I do the same. The day of my meets, I usually listen to music and stay loose. 

HC: What’s your favorite thing about UW-Stout?

LM:  The Fireside Café. It is a great place to sit and crank out homework.

HC: How else are you involved on campus or in the community?

LM: I am the Vice President of the Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC), which has representatives from each sport meet and plan community service events. Also, I am the Secretary of Kappa Lambda Beta Co-Ed Fraternity. 

HC: What are your plans and aspirations for the future?

LM:  I kind of roll with the punches of life, I don’t like planning my future. All I want to do is get a good job, start a family, and BE HAPPY!

SPEED ROUND

Favorite TV Show: The Walking Dead

Favorite Spot on Campus: It’s actually off Campus… Pride Rock, which overlooks the Red Cedar River and the Swiss Miss Factory.

Celebrity Crush: Eric Church

Dream Vacation Destination: Australia and scuba diving

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.