The Top 5 DIYs to Add Color to Your Dorm Walls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Bare white walls are not the most appealing sight.  But you can add some color and personality to your dorm room with some simple projects. With these five must-try DIYs, you can quickly spice up your dorm room.

1. Photo Collage

A photo collage is the perfect way to personalize your room. Easily print off a set of your Instagram photos and apply them to your wall in any shape or pattern you want. Besides being a piece of art, the photos are great mementos to have away from home.

2. Twinkle Light Calligraphy

This DIY project will literally light up your room. Instead just simply hanging your lights around the room, spell something out. Using hooks to hang the lights, you can spell out your name, school, or any other inspirational words you like.

3. Garland

Sparkle, sparkle! This garland will definitely add some flare to your dorm. For just a couple dollars you can craft your own shimmering garland, all that’s needed is some tissue paper and string. In just a few steps, your room will be sparkling in no time.

4. Art Decor

There is nothing more personalized than creating your own artwork. With this unique art piece you can truly put your heart on display; giving your room a special little touch. Crafted from board and nails, this décor pays homage to your hometown.

5. Paint Chip Wall

The “no paint rule” doesn’t mean you can’t have a colorful room. Instead of paint, swap it out for paint chips. Grab a few several swatches in different colors to create the pattern of your choice. Once this is decided, simply apply your swatches to the wall and your room will be bursting in color.

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout