This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year again; swimsuit season. This time of the year can be a bit daunting and put pressure on you to have the “perfect body”. But, I’m sorry to tell you that this so-called “perfect body” doesn’t exist and you don’t need to look a certain way to look stunning in a swimsuit. You should never have to change to feel good in something. There are so many swimsuits out there that embrace the shape you have already.

Small Bust

There are plenty of push-up swimsuits out there to give you a lift if that’s what you are looking for. But, you don’t need it to give an illusion of a fuller chest. There is a simpler way that looks a lot more natural. RUFFLES! Added detail to the chest doesn’t look as forced or likt you are trying too hard. You can also try balconette tops that give the lift of a push-up, without all the extra padding.

Full Bust

A larger chest size isn’t always the easiest to shop for. With sizes only going up to large or way too much padding, it can get discouraging. The trick is to find swimsuits that run in bra or number sizing. You’re less likely to feel as if you may spill out or that your chest is strapped in too tight. With the the structure of the suit being more like a bra, it will give you the support you need and often have adjustable straps as well.

Curvy

Shopping for a swimsuit that provides good coverage for a larger chest and/or fuller hips is a challenge. It seems everything is way to small and you can’t help but worry you may get stuck with the frumpy one-pieces because they’re the only thing that fit. Look for swimsuits with high-waisted bottoms. They are flattering on most figures and help to balance out your proportions (without making you feel as if you’re hiding your body). The higher-waist defines your smallest point and gives you that hour-glass shape.

Tall

When you have a taller frame, show it off. Embrace your height by wearing a swimsuit that shows how lean you are. Modern one-pieces are great for this. As it’s one continuous piece, it doesn’t cut you in half and make you appear shorter than you are. Some of the latest styles have cut-outs and newer textiles that create a more unique look.

Petite

When buying a swimsuit as a petite girl, you may run into some problems of there being too much material. One-pieces and tankinis may have you feeling overwhelmed with fabric. Look for swimsuits that have ties instead of the slip-ons. This allows you the ability to adjust it to your body. Bandeaus or halter-tops are great for helping to lengthen you body.

How You Feel Matters…

The #1 rule when shopping for a swimsuit, is to buy what makes you feel comfortable. Your suit should make you feel confident, not like you want to cover up. Don’t be afraid to try something on because you worry it won’t look good on you. Try it on despite that feeling. It is more important what you feel like in the suit than what anybody else thinks. If you try on a swimsuit and you don’t feel like a ‘total babe’, than it’s not the one for you. 

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout