This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Take a moment to think about where you got some of your clothes, jewelry, or accessories. For the most part, they are probably from your favorite stores or borrowed from friends. Maybe you forgot that you even owned some items. Of that, there is a small percentage that comes from a more sentimental place: family. Special articles of clothing, jewelry, and accessories have been passed down since the beginning of time, allowing multiple generations to enjoy the item.

The fashion industry rarely discusses this practice; everywhere we go it’s all about NEW, NEW, NEW and creating a sense of urgency for purchasing new products. This is great and all, but there’s something wonderful about family heirlooms or items passed down from generation to generation. I didn’t realize just how often items are passed down from generation to generation until this past weekend; three of my friends were wearing something that used to belong to a family member (mainly grandmothers). Although the items may not be in the best condition, they are exponentially more valuable. This value is not strictly in monetary terms, although, some antique items can significantly increase in value over time. Rather, it is the intangible meaning behind the item. 

It’s not about wearing what is necessarily trendy or expensive, it’s about keeping a part of your family or loved ones with you, especially if they passed away. I remember when my great-aunt passed away when I was younger, my mom let me keep her jewelry box and the contents inside. Sure, the paint was chipped on some of the bracelets and some of the necklace chains were terribly knotted, but it reminded me of her. It allowed me to hold on to the memory of her just a little bit longer. My sister and I incorporated the jewelry into our dress-up times, and plays and musicals—it became a part of our lives. Furthermore, the styles of that jewelry cannot be replicated nowadays, making it unique and of greater value.

New items are great, but clothing, jewelry, and accessories passed down from generation to generation are so much better. There are stories and lives behind those items, which is something that the latest styles will never be able to compete with.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout