Stout Soccer: The Meaning Behind The Red Shoelace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Photo Credit Stout Athletics Department

The University of Wisconsin- Stout Women’s Soccer program, self-proclaimed as “Stout Sox”, was faced with a great deal of adversities this season. Stout started their season off on an extremely high note. Holding a record of 6-1-2 for the first nine games, they secured the fourth ranking within the region for multiple weeks. However, midway into their season, they hit a rut.

What started as just one conference loss against local rivals University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire quickly spiraled into Stout losing five of their next six games. It was not until the final last two games of the regular season that the women’s team was able to tally two wins. However, admist all of this, Women’s Soccer had to overcome something that left a void larger than any losing record possibly could.

On the night of October 3, 2015, the Stout Soccer team lost a crucial component of their team. One of their student athletic trainers passed away in a car accident while traveling back. As many athletes come to understand, the bond between an athletic trainer and athlete is irreplacable. In just one night, the soccer program was radically changed. It was no longer just about winning. 

In such a dark and sad time, the team learned to lean on each other and the importance of life. In honor of his life, the team dedicated their season and play-hard work ethic to him and all that he did for the team. You could literally see the love the team had for him by looking at the feet of all of the players. A red shoe lace was laced in one shoe of each of the players to remind Stout Soccer of his love and dedication he showed the team in just a short few months.

Aside from playing to honor their dearly missed trainer, the girls realized the importance of playing for each other and for themselves, and what it really means to be a part of a team  It was no longer about scoring goals or getting playing time, but it was about leaning on each other for support and finding their strength together.

Unfortunately, Stout ended their season early in the first round of playoffs this year aganst University of Wisconsin- Whitewater. Nine seniors ended their collegiate careers that Tuesday night, all of which left behind some big shoes for underclassmen to step up and fill. 

Even though Stout lost in the first round and fell into a rut this season, Stout Soccer came out with something more rewarding than an appearance in the national NCAA tournament, a deeper understanding and love for the game, and more importantly for each other. 

Camille is a sophomore at UW-Stout pursuing a degree in Dietetics and a minor in journalism.  Aside from writing for Her Campus, Camille is a member of the UW-Stout Women's Soccer team and part of the Navigators student ministry here on campus.  In addition to taking selfies with her dog and playing soccer, Camille enjoys watching videos of hedgehogs, chocolate-covered espresso beans, and anything that involves the great outdoors.
Her Campus at UW-Stout