The Septum Piercing – What to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Lately, you may have seen more and more people getting a nose piercing that is relatively new to western culture. The septum piercing has been around for a long time, but only recently has it become a popular trend in the United States. I recently jumped onto the septum bandwagon as a birthday gift to myself, and I noticed a few things before and after it was done while doing research. If you’re also intrigued by the idea of having this edgy body modification, there are a few things you may want to know first.

There are temporary options.

If you’d like to give this piercing a try but aren’t sure if you’re ready to make it permanent, there are fake pieces you can buy to give it a test run. If you like it, you’ll feel more confident about your choice!

It does hurt, but not very much.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a baby when it comes to pain and discomfort, and honestly, having my septum pierced was a piece of cake. I went by myself without a hand to hold and it was done so quickly that I hardly had time to get anxious or register the pain whatsoever. Since the needle goes through a thin part of the skin in your nose below the cartilage (known as the “sweet spot” to piercers) it went through without any trouble and without a sound. However, your eyes will water quite a bit as a natural reaction to something tampering with a sensitive part of your body. I recommend skipping heavy eye makeup for the day, and perhaps even leaving your contacts out if you wear them.

You’ll have to start with a larger ring, a barbell, or a retainer.

If you want to have your first septum jewelry be dainty or hug your nose closely like the picture above, you may be disappointed. Reputable piercers will only let you start with jewelry that allows room for your skin to swell a little bit before healing. A tighter piece of jewelry may irritate your septum and put pressure on it that delays or prevents the healing process.

There is a way to hide it without removing the jewelry.

If you need to hide your piercing for any reason (parents, an interview, etc.), it is possible to do so with a retainer. This type of septum jewelry can be flipped up inside your nostrils and stay in place. However, not all noses are shaped in a way where this will work. Ask your piercer to be sure before giving the go-ahead.

It takes a while to heal.

You should change your jewelry no sooner than about six to eight weeks later, and it will take months (up to eight) to heal completely. Also, whenever you change your jewelry you’ll want to make it quick since the hole can close up very quickly. You might even want to directly chase the outgoing jewelry with the ingoing piece to make the process easier.

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout