Secrets Behind your Favorite Drink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

There are “drinking in moderation” posters placed all over campus, posters about knowing your Blood Alcohol Content, and other information on drinking that’s normally equipped with a statistic such as 37% of Stout students who live in the dorms don’t drink. These are supposed to create awareness, but how often does that information actually make a difference?

I didn’t realize how many extra calories I was in-taking until it was put into a new perspective. How partying on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, was adding almost 1000 more calories than what I should be having— and that’s not taking into consideration the typical “drunchies” that seem to be inevitable with a night out. 

Here are some of the shocking statistics that come along with typical drinks of choice among college students.

4 shots of Absolut Vodka: 386 calories; could eat one side order of Sweet Potato Fries

4 shots of Smirnoff Vodka: 388 calories; you would need to walk for 108 minutes to burn that off.

4 shots of Fireball Whiskey: 432 calories; could eat one double cheeseburger from McDonalds

4 shots of Patron Tequila: 392 calories; you would need to swim at a moderate pace for 45 minutes.

4 shots of Beefeater Gin: 460 calories; could eat 6.5 Toppers Sticks

4 shots of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum: 344 calories; could eat an ENTIRE bag of watermelon sour patch kids.

4 shots of Burnett’s vodka: 268 calories; could do this workout video for 21 minutes 

4 shots of Ron Diaz Rum: 464 calories; could eat two servings of mashed potatoes, and maybe even sprinkle some cheese on top.

Busch Light 12 Oz: 95 calories; you would have to run for 9 minutes straight

Coors Light 12 Oz: 102 calories; could eat three pieces of bacon.

Her Campus at UW-Stout