This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Science was never one of my easy subjects growing up. I spent my science classes thinking about how I would rather be studying fashion than learning about different types of rocks. It was only a matter of time before my wish became a reality. Recently, countless designers have begun utilizing science-based techniques to craft garments. Shoppers and fashionistas alike are looking for an experience with their clothing. It is no longer enough to have beautifully constructed and designed garments (although it certainly doesn’t hurt!) To develop a better understanding of some of these innovations, here are a couple of my favorite designs:

1. Hussein Chalayan: If you’ve been following any of the recent SS16 fashion shows, you will know exactly what I am talking about. For his collection he produced water soluble shirt dresses, which were layered on top of crystal and lace-embellished dresses. In his show, he had two models stand underneath running showers. Slowly, the shirt dresses disintegrated to reveal the second layer of dresses. Although this may not be the most practical outfit to wear on a rainy day, it sure is raising the bar for innovative designs.

2. Boudicca Perfume: Although this doesn’t count as clothing, it is absolutely worth noting. When I studied abroad in London the director of our program introduced us to this perfume. She asked for a volunteer to join her at the front of the room to try it out. Without hesitation, she promptly sprayed a long stream of the perfume across this volunteer’s sweater. A blue streak quickly appeared on her sweater and then slowly evaporated. Its nature is simple: it appears in a blue mist when first applied, and once evaporated it releases its scent. Furthermore, the brand based its name on Queen Bouicea, who in 60 A.D. fought the Romans. Apparently, she utilized indigo war paint to confuse and scare her enemies, thus explaining the blue color of this perfume. 

3. Rainbow Winters: This brand produces garments that respond to its environmental surroundings. According to their website they: “use interactive textiles which change color and pattern in response to sound, sunlight, water and stretch.” Ultimately, they strive to create a multi-sensory experience for their customers.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout