This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Open the nearest fashion magazine, Google ‘fashion faux pas’, hire a personal stylist. Every single one of those will tell you what you can and, more importantly, cannot wear. From a young age we learn that, like most everything in life, there are rules with style. We are told not to mix prints, wear white after Labor Day, steer clear of clothing that is not designed for our particular body type, and dress in a modest manner.

Style rules have always been part of society. These rules promise acceptance by others and the validation of being “stylish” or “trendy.” We forgo our personal tastes and style just because a journalist, superior, expert, or peer says so.

As much as we desire to wear whatever we want, we fear the repercussions of not following the so-called rules. Whether that be in the form of people giving us strange looks or Gretchen Wieners not allowing us to sit at her lunch table, we allow others to control how we dress.

I have always struggled with being confident in honing my personal style. Even when I am dressing how I want, there is still a fear of others not understanding or liking my outfit. It was not until I studied abroad in London that I let go of that fear. On my first day all my tutors encouraged us to wear what we want. They told us that no one cares how you dress and that we should not be fearful of experimenting with our style. I started my semester wearing leggings and sweaters. I left London with pink hair, crazy patterned pants, and running shoes I paired with tights and dresses more than actual athletic apparel.

We need to stop letting others define how we dress. Who cares if someone doesn’t understand or like what you wear? You are not defined by fashion magazines, fashion faux pas lists, or the opinions of others. Embrace your personal style and never apologize for dressing accordingly.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout