etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

You can make yourself miserable or you can make yourself happy, either way it takes the same amount of effort. Maybe you’ve had a bad day, a bad week, a bad year, and it may seem impossible to shake your funk, but there are ways to make yourself the happiest you can be. The best thing you can do for yourself is to take life moment by moment and use the little things to make yourself always joyful.

Smile:

Scientists have proven this one; that even the act of faking a smile can significantly improve your mood. We may not feel like smiling when walking to class with the freezing wind or in the morning before we’ve had our coffee, but a simple smile will instantly brighten your day.

Pick a Mantra:

There is no better way to stay positive and happy than finding a phrase you believe in and repeating it often. By repetition you will engrain your mantra into your head and fully accept it as reality. My mom’s personal favorite is “Icecream, it cures what ails you.”

Do What Fills You:

Everyone has their thing. That one activity or possession that simply bring you so much joy. As busy people, we often get lost in all that we need to get done in the day that we rarely think about what we can do to bring ourselves a little relaxation and joy. So whether that be Pokémon cards or dancing to some T-Swizzle, remember that your mental joy is just as important as your jobs.

Find Something You Believe In:

We all know what it is like to watch someone talk about something that fills them with passion. The way their eyes light up and their whole demeanor changes in response to their excitement is truly motivating. When you find something that puts that spark into your life, hold onto it! As the wise Oprah once said “Follow your passion, it will lead you to your purpose.”

Throw Yourself Into Something New:

All too often people find themselves in these ruts. Times where everything is unchanging and monotonous. They go to work, eat, workout, go to sleep, and repeat daily with a few other tasks mixed in. Monotony is no way to live a life full of happiness, and the best way to break that cycle is to try something new. Pick up a new hobby or sign up for a different workout class. Don’t let yourself get stuck and you will stay happy.

Exercise:

The intense release of endorphins that comes from exercise is unbeatable.  If you are not one who likes to go to the gym,) try working a walk into your day or play a sport with friends. Either way, getting your body going and moving is so beneficial.

Spend Time With The People Who Matter:

We interact with new people every day, but it is those that are the closest to us that are the ones to really make a difference. Find time to be with these people who mean the most to you and care about your wellbeing and you are sure to be warmed from the inside out.

Eat a Salad:

I have yet to find someone eating a salad and not be happy.

Allison is a girl. She likes to think she's "not like other girls" but that probably untrue.
Her Campus at UW-Stout