Miss Campus Cutie: Joellen Turner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Joellen Bernadine TurnerHometown: River Falls, WIProgram of Emphasis: Business AdministrationYear: SophomoreRelationship Status: In a Relationship with John Garlick

HC: Tell us a little bit about yourself!

JT: I grew up in River Falls, WI on a small family hobby farm. I was very involved with basketball, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee in high school and as well as in clubs such as 4-H and FFA. I love hanging out with my friends and family a lot because I am a very social person! I really enjoy outdoor activities such as camping, exploring, hunting, waterskiing, and snowmobiling.

HC: How are you involved on campus at UW-Stout?

JT: I am a member of the UW-Stout Waterski Team! I joined right away as a freshman randomly because I love skiing and I have stuck with it since. The team is like a big family because everyone is so welcoming and friendly. This year I also became secretary for the board as well. I would like to join another club on campus but I am not sure of which club yet.

HC: That is so awesome! What are your plans for Spring Break?

JT: I am road tripping down to Texas with a couple of friends and then staying at my aunt’s condo for the week!

HC: What do you look forward to most after college?

JT: I would really love to travel a lot after I graduate. I want to go all over the world and see different cultures. Oh, and also hopefully land a good job at some point!

HC: What do you enjoy most about being in a relationship?

JT: I love that John is my best friend and we can always laugh together. He makes being in a relationship fun and easy and I can count on him for anything.

HC: What are some of your favorite things to do as a couple?

JT: We like to go to his cabin and horseback ride through the trails, as well as going boating and camping together! He is usually down for anything and as lame as this sounds, we also love getting into a Netflix series together (:

HC: What was meeting your boyfriend, John, for the first time like?

JT: I’ll be honest, meeting the first time was kind of blurry, but our first actual date was Valentine’s Day last year! We had so much to talk about together and it was very fun getting to know him so well.

HC: That’s so sweet! What is the most embarrassing moment you’ve ever had?

JT: Oh man I’ve had a lot of embarrassing moments that I brought upon myself! One time my friend and I were riding my two-seated bike downtown, and I thought it would be funny to go over the curb without her knowing but instead I ended up losing control and we tipped the whole bike over into a 4 way intersection. We literally stopped traffic because we were lying there laughing so hard. We were so embarrassed and people had to get out of their cars to help us!

HC: That is too funny! What’s something most people don’t know about you?

JT: Most people don’t know that I showed pigs and goats at my county fair from sixth to twelfth grade. I actually did really well and took Grand Champion Showmanship 3 years in a row! It was a very rewarding experience and taught me some great life lessons.  

Her Campus at UW-Stout