Meet Trans Advocate and Fraternity Sister – Gabbie Allee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

“I guess the reason I want to become such a huge advocate is just so others can have that experience of being their true authentic self.”

Name: Gabbie Allee

Hometown: Forest Lake, Minnesota

Year: Sophomore

Major: Hotel and Restaurant Tourism Management (Self Designed Focus Area in Diversity)

Minor: Women and Gender Studies

Relationship Status: Single

Celebrity Look-Alike: Princess Diana

HC: How are you involved on campus at UW-Stout?

GA: I’m a senator at-large in student senate (Stout Student Association), a member of GSA (Gender and Sexuality Alliance), I work at the Qube as an events coordinator, and I’m in Pi Lambda Phi fraternity.

HC: It is correct that when you joined Pi Lambda Phi (Pilam), you hadn’t transitioned yet?

GA: That’s correct. I was a gay male-identifying individual at the time.

HC: Why did you choose to stay in a fraternity after transitioning?

GA: Ironically, I actually went to Stout wanting to join a fraternity. I knew I wanted to join Greek life just because of everything that they stood for, and stuff like that – like volunteer hours. So, I decided to join, and I was actually recruited by De’Andre Jones. I guess the reason I ended up staying was probably because I felt like I had more of an obligation in the fraternity almost, which I know sounds weird! But, I felt like it was almost my job as their (now identifying) sister to basically educate them on the female perspective of things and to educate them on trans identities and all that kind of stuff. I felt like I had a more important role as a female.

HC: Did you encounter any problems retaining your membership in the fraternity?

GA: The international part of Pi Lambda Phi has been so great. I have to give them a shout-out because they have been nothing but supportive. I heard that the decision about my membership was basically a thirty second conversation at headquarters. I have to disclose that I’m not the only sister in Pi Lambda Phi fraternity. There’s one before me, but she didn’t transition until after graduation. She was already an alumn, so I’m the first active sister in Pilam.

HC: There are a few other members of Pi Lambda Phi who identify as LGBTQIA+. Did that help with your transition?

GA: We do have a few that are gay male-identifying and someone who identifies as gender non-conforming. I would definitely say it did make it easier just because I had a few brothers that I knew would for sure get it and understand, you know? It was a bit of an educational process for everyone, but everyone has been extremely accepting. It’s been a bit of a learning process because some brothers didn’t really understand trans identities, but now knowing someone that is transgender has opened up their minds to it.

HC: I heard that you have received positive messages from brothers across the country. Are there any messages in particular that are memorable or that really stood out to you?

GA: Brother Burke from Winona has just been extremely supportive. He actually shared one of my pictures on Facebook and said something along the lines of me having a lot of courage and having a huge struggle and pushing forward through it. It was just super supportive and he kind of looked up to me. There was another brother who messaged me from New York and said that when I followed him back on Instagram after he followed me, and I went on a sort of binge-spree of “I love you all! You’re all my brothers!” and liked a bunch of pictures, that he almost started crying because it made him realize how proud he was to be part of his chapter and the organization as a whole on a national level. He said he was really proud of me and that if I ever needed anything I could contact him.

HC: What do you enjoy most about UW-Stout?

GA: Overall, I would say the support that I’ve gotten, because even in my rough times when people have spoken out against it, I’ve had a very positive group of friends to fall back on every time I get pushed down. So I would say the LGBTQIA+ population has been a tremendous support and then especially my brothers too.

HC: Who are your role models?

GA: That’s a really tough question! But I would actually have to say Laverne Cox. She is just such a huge inspiration and a very huge trans advocate. I will never completely understand exactly how much oppression she has experienced as a trans black woman, but I can relate to the trans woman aspect of it. And just the amount of advocacy she does is truly inspirational. Also, in the beginning of my transition I watched a lot of videos by YouTuber Gigi Gorgeous. She was definitely an inspiration because she shared her personal transition story, so she’s been a role model in my life.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

GA: I want to work for the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). I would want to go to different HR’s and corporations within the hospitality industry and do diversity training with them, which would include teaching them about different identities, racial diversity, all that kind of stuff.

HC: Why is actively supporting the trans community so important?

GA: It’s such a hugely oppressed identity. Especially in the U.S. we tend to have such a binary way of thinking, so whenever someone steps out of those boxes, or goes against the grain I guess you could say, it’s severely frowned upon overall. I guess the reason I want to become such a huge advocate is just so others can have that experience of being their true authentic self.  I would have transitioned a long time ago, but growing up I didn’t have the terminology for it, or the education, and just didn’t really fully understand myself. I didn’t have the opportunity to kind of experiment with my identity and all that kind of stuff. So, I would just say it’s important to give people that chance earlier in life and let them know that it’s ok, and that they’re normal and there’s nothing wrong with them.

HC: What do you recommend to students who would like to actively support the trans community but don’t know where to start?

GA: I would say go to the Qube on campus and go to a GSA meeting to show support. Not just to trans individuals, but to the entire LGBTQIA+ population. That definitely helps out, and just vocally saying that you’re an ally. If you see something transphobic online, share it and speak against it instead of ignoring it.

HC: What are three things you can’t live without?

GA: My phone, makeup, and my mom.

Gabbie’s Favorites

Celebrity Crush: Justin Bieber

Song: “Rocket” by Beyoncé

Location in Menomonie: Red Cedar Trail

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout