Meet Stout’s Big Brothers Big Sisters President – Morgan Kapp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

“The most rewarding part of working with children is knowing you made an impact on their lives.”

Name: Morgan Kapp

Major: Psychology and Studio Art

Year: Senior

Hometown: Neenah, Wisconsin

HC: What made you decide to go to UW-Stout?

MK: I first heard about UW-Stout because my older brother went to Stout for construction. In high school I really didn’t know where I wanted to go to school or what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I also heard that UW-Stout had a really good Art and Design program. When I was in high school, the one thing I knew I was good at was Art and I wanted to continue working on my Art.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Stout?

MK: I really enjoy the small and personal class sizes as well as everything being in walking distance.

HC: How are you involved on campus or in the community?

MK: As well as being the President for Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) at UW-Stout, I am a ‘Big’ for the BBBS of Northwestern Wisconsin. Being a ‘Big,’ I visit and mentor an elementary aged boy during his lunch and recess hour once a week at his elementary school.

HC: How and why did you get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters at Stout?

MK: Honestly, I saw a posting for ‘Free Pizza,’ so I made my roommate go with me to check out what this org was all about. Once we sat in on the meeting and learned about how I could mentor and impact a child’s life, I became very involved with BBBS at Stout and in Northwestern Wisconsin. After I get my masters in Art Therapy, I mainly want to work with children in the elementary ages rang. Being a ‘Big’ has given me experience, excitement, and hope for my future career in art therapy and impacting children’s lives. So, I joined BBBS because I love hanging out, working with and communicating with children.

HC: What’s the most rewarding part of working and interacting with the children?

MK: The most rewarding part of working with children is knowing you made an impact on their lives.

HC: What are your plans and aspirations for the future?

MK: After completing my undergraduate degrees here at Stout, my plan for the future is to continue my education and achieve a masters in Art Therapy. After finishing my masters program, I would love to work in a children’s hospital with children who are going through treatment, trauma, depression, anxiety, etc. Art therapy, for those who don’t know what it all entails, is a form a therapy involving self-expression through painting, drawing, or other forms of art.

SPEED ROUND

Favorite place to eat in Menomonie: The Waterfront Bar and Grill, especially for ‘Wing Wednesday’

Favorite Show: Currently, I am hooked on The Walking Dead but my all time favorite show is The Office

Dream vacation destination: New Zealand

One word your friends use to describe you: Outgoing

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.