Meet Habitat for Humanity President, Ashley Hackert

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

UW-Stout senior, Ashley Hackert, is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Saying she’s a busybody would be a total understatement. You can find this week’s celeb just about anywhere on campus, doing just about anything. Hackert doesn’t stop at being the Habitat for Humanity President; she has to be one of the most involved student’s at Stout. Hackert is glowing of ambition and has truly paved a future for herself that’s full of endless opportunities and exciting adventures.

Name: Ashley Hackert

Major: Bachelor’s in Dietetics, Minor: Spanish

Year: Senior

Hometown: Grafton, Wisconsin

Habitat 4 Humanity Position: President

HC: Member Since:

AH: I have been a member of Habitat for Humanity since my freshman year and have loved being a part of it throughout the past three years! It is hard to believe that this will be my last year this year!

HC: Why did you choose to attend UW-Stout? 

AH: Being from a small town originally, I knew college was going to be a giant leap for me to take! I chose to attend UW-Stout because the polytechnic aspect of the campus really inspired me as a student. I have always been a hands-on learner even in high school, and I wanted to attend a college where I knew my creative, independent, and go-getter attitude could be put to its full potential.

Additionally, before coming to Stout, I had the opportunity to talk with current Stout students at a Stout Saturday through the Admissions Office, and I loved the fact that at Stout you are always continually approached with opportunities to be connected with the faculty, staff, other students, and even abroad. I didn’t realize how I could really be that well connected at Stout, until my Spanish professor encouraged me to study abroad in Argentina my sophomore year and then the summer of my senior year; I was able to apply to a dietetic internship in Nome, Alaska and had a life changing experience there.

HC: What’s your favorite place on campus?

AH: My favorite place on campus would definitely be the Memorial Student Center! I am addicted to Brew Devils because they have the classic Starbucks coffee drinks which I typically need in the morning because I am not a morning person, I love sitting by the Fireside Café because I can work on homework by the cozy fireplace anytime, and lastly, almost all of my roommates (aka 5 of them) work at the MSC almost every day of the week so I usually stop by to say hi when I get the chance! 

HC: What’s your absolute favorite thing about UW-Stout?

AH: My absolute favorite thing about UW-Stout would have to be the welcoming individuals in the Menomonie and Stout community. Whether I am going to Legacy Chocolates to get a delicious truffle, or to Acoustic Café for one of their hoagies, or even Applebee’s for their half off appetizers, or meeting with one of my professors, everyone always has a smile on their face and a friendly attitude. It is also honestly hard for me not to run into 10 people I know every day walking to class and stop and talk to them and catch up which always makes my day. Ultimately, just like my small town back home, Menomonie has definitely became a place I can call my home and it is a blessing to live here and meet new people every day.

HC: Tell us a little about what the Habitat for Humanity organization does?

AH: Habitat for Humanity is an international nonprofit, Christian housing ministry. Habitat’s mission is to provide every person with a decent, safe and affordable place to live. They build and repair houses all over the world using mostly volunteer labor and donations, and their partner families purchase these houses through no-profit mortgage loans or innovative financing methods. As a campus chapter at Stout, members who are involved have the opportunity to volunteer their time through various fundraising opportunities, weekly builds at local affiliate Habitat chapters in the Eau Claire and River Falls communities, work with other volunteer organizations on campus, and even partake in a Twin Cities weekend trip and spring break trip which are a blast to go on and have fun with!

HC: What made you want to get involved?

AH: I wanted to get involved with Habitat for Humanity because I knew it was a well-known organization around the world, and I wanted to be able to volunteer my time in the community that I lived in, and the Habitat mission was something that I felt strongly about as well. On the other hand, I was also excited to gain new skills such as using power tools, dry walling for the first time, roofing, and laying the foundation for a house all skills that I previously had no experience in.

HC: What are some plans Habitat for Humanity has for this year?

AH: Some of the biggest upcoming events our campus chapter will have would be our weekend builds in the spring semester once the warm weather rolls around again, and our spring break trip to Albany, Georgia for the week of spring break. Both of these opportunities are a great way for on campus students to volunteer their time in the local Menomonie community as well as communities outside of our state. We are definitely looking forward to the full week of service in Georgia, and are excited to have a week to get to meet new people, share our skills for building, and site see along the way.

What else are you involved in on campus?

AH: First off, I really love being busy and being involved in as much as I can. This year I am involved in Lutheran Campus Ministries which is a wonderful group that meets on Monday nights and has a home cooked meal every Monday. I am also a tour guide on campus in the Admissions Office and love getting to meet all of the new freshman students that come to campus, and I am also involved in the Stout Student Dietetic Association for my major. I have also had various jobs as a resident advisor on campus, Blue Devil Ambassador, Conversation Partner for ELS, and writing aid for Disability Services.

What advice would you give to freshman?

AH: A small piece of advice to a perspective student at Stout would be to not be afraid to try new things and push your comfort zone to the limit. For me, it is hard to look back and believe today that I am the President of Habitat for Humanity working on a construction site, or had the opportunity to travel to Alaska for a dietetic internship. However, having these experiences while I was in college, have allowed me to meet so many awesome people, make connections for life, have some crazy times and laughs, and overall grow exponentially that I will never regret trying something new. These times have ultimately made my time at Stout memorable and something that I’ll never forget.

SPEED ROUND:

Favorite Movie: Remember the Titans

Favorite Food: Ice cream

Ideal Saturday Night: Having a backyard bonfire with my friends

Dream Vacation Spot:  Sailing in the Caribbean, or exploring the Australian Outback

One Word Your Friends Use to Describe You: Passionate and Smiley (sorry two words haha)

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.
Her Campus at UW-Stout