Meet “Fashion Without Fabric” Scholarship Winner, Bailey Mastin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Bailey Mastin

Year: Freshman 

Major: Studio Art (concentration in Painting)

Hometown: Northfield, MN

Tell Her Campus a little about “Fashion Without Fabric”

Well, Fashion Without Fabric is an assignment for everyone in the 3D spring semester class. We have to make a costume that relates to the theme (this year it was Nobel Peace Prize winners) and present it in a fashion show. We get a few weeks to dream up a costume and bring it to life, without the use of fabric. It’s an amazing project overall.

How does it feel having won first place and a scholarship?

Well it was so unreal to win the scholarship. When we got called back to walk up again, we saw everyone else walk before us, and finally we realized we were the last ones behind the stage. The first place winners went up and I was clapping for them and I was like, well, what awards are left? One of the helpers back stage said something along the lines of, “oh, you didn’t realize it yet? You guys are the scholarship winners.” I couldn’t believe it. I stared at the TV screen they had in back to look at the stage and then they said it. “Invasion of the Parasite” and that’s when tears started to come. It was so wonderful that all this hard work had paid of and this is just what I needed. Thinking about it now still gives me butterflies and it still feel like it was just a dream.

Favorite part about the fashion show?

Honestly I loved seeing everyone else’s costumes and outfits. The amount of crazy ideas that were pulled together, it was a real cool experience to see how everyone looked. The fashion show itself was a real amazing part that if I could do it again, no doubt I would. 10/10.

What made you want to come to Stout?

Definitely the art department. I actually toured here twice when I was a senior in high school. Both times I came I was very impressed with how the art program was directed. Experiencing my year thus far, I know I made the right choice for me.

Favorite part about Stout so far?

I have made some amazing friends that I don’t know if I could go without. I have so many friends but my friends Maddy, Lindsey, Paige, Kaitlin, and especially Marissa, I don’t know what I would do without them. It’s kind of unbelievable how friendly people are and how willing everyone is to make everyone feel welcome.

Are you involved in any other clubs/organizations on campus?

I am a part of the MC HEC, I try to make as many Fine Art Association meetings and occasionally I go to Swing Club.

Where do you see yourself after graduation?

After graduation is still kind of a mystery for me. Being only a freshman here, there are so many things I have yet to try. Recently I’ve been thinking of changing my major to industrial design yet what if I like print making better? There are still so many paths for me to choose from but if I were to imagine myself after graduation, I’d say I want to be painting somewhere in Europe, most likely Italy, but that’s a hazy imagination that only seems like a dream at this point. We’ll see where I end up.

Molly is a freshman at UW-Stout, majoring in professional communication and emerging media with a concentration in journalism. She is originally from Rosemount, MN. Molly is a pop culture junkie, dancer, singer, actress, and coffee lover. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout