A Little TLC: How to Properly Care for Your Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Most the time, caring for your clothes is a no brainer. But sometimes there are some questions on why your garments seem to wear out faster than you are wearing them. The little symbols on the tag look like another language and you are unsure of whether or not something should go in the drier. Here are some simple tips that the labels don’t tell you about.

Knits

Most of your clothing can be washed and dried easily without too many extra steps. But do keep your washer on gentler cycles unless the garments are stained. Excessive washing leads to color fading, materials thinning, and sometimes stretching.  Before you are able to wash your t-shirts, turn them inside out when you toss it into your hamper. This will help the garment breathe and prevent some bacteria from building up.

Denim           

To start off, your jeans shouldn’t be washed after each wear. Over washing can cause fading and can weaken the shape. Instead, they should be washed once they begin to sag or they’re stained. They should be washed inside out in cold water in the gentle cycle. Until then, to help get rid of possible odors, hang your jeans in the bathroom before a shower.

Delicates and Lingerie

Your bras should always be washed by hand and laid out to air-dry. The machines can often damage the high-quality fabrics.  To wash by hand, fill your sink with cold water and fill with a capful of a mild detergent. Swirl the pieces around for a few minutes before rinsing each individually. Make sure they are completely rinsed of detergent; the excess can weaken the fibers.

Athletic Clothes and Spandex-y Items

Your gym clothes should be washed a.s.a.p. after your latest workout. Just tossing them into your hamper can allow odors to set and mildew to build out. Wash them inside out in cool water. Keep the load separate from towels and items with zippers that can cause pilling or snags.  They are best to be air dried, which helps maintain the elasticity. But, if you are in a pinch, try to only dry them with the lowest heat setting.

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout