This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Let’s be honest, we all judge people for what they wear. Whether subconsciously or not, we cannot help but form some sort of opinion based on their appearance. In an attempt to make sense of our surroundings, we need to make observations and reach a final conclusion about how others dress. Likewise, we may use these conclusions for either a positive or negative purpose. It may be to compliment others and boost their self-esteem, or it may be out of cruelty and for the sake of hurting others.

This is not a new concept; I am sure that all of us have countless examples of this. Whether we were the ones being complimented or ridiculed, or the ones delivering such compliments or remarks, we are far too familiar with this concept. I recall countless times being made fun of for what I was wearing, and, similarly, making remarks to friends about how others are dressed. And what do we do? We perpetuate the cycle. It’s time for us to stop making fun of others for how they dress. We each have our own unique styles and should embrace that and support others accordingly. There are no benefits in making others feel bad or ashamed of how they dress.

It’s time we build each other up rather than tear each other down. Just because others may not dress the same as everyone else, doesn’t mean their style is bad or less than ours. All style is equal and we need to treat others in accordance with this concept.

How can we do so? First, put an end to talking badly about others style—whether behind their backs or to their face. Second, find something you like about someone’s style and compliment them on it. Finally, encourage others to do the same. We need to be supportive of everyone’s unique style. The next time you or someone else is about to make a not-so-nice remark about someone’s style—focus on the positives. Not only will you feel better about yourself, but your compliment may just make someone’s day. We all can use a little more kindness in fashion.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout