This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Over the years I have had a fair share of favorite items. Growing up, it was black pants…every day. A few years later it was ballet flats and shortly thereafter it was headbands. My freshman year of college favorite piece was a necklace that said ‘joie de vivre’ and in my sophomore year it was a red and white striped dress. In junior year, I was enamored with a ring my friend got for me in Argentina. And now, my favorite item is my watch.

Our styles are constantly evolving; with this, comes new favorite items. Think about your wardrobe—what is that one personal style item that you cannot bear to leave the house without? Maybe it’s your great-grandmother’s earrings, best friend’s sweater, or shoes you wore when studying abroad. Whatever it may be, those items become a part of us and our souls. They may be frayed, stained, holding on by the thread, or in pristine condition. Nevertheless, we love them and have made them an integral part of our lives.

It is important to have items like this in our lives. They represent fond memories, and remind us of our loved ones and the special days and events we’ve experienced over the years. Furthermore, those memories can be with you wherever you go in life. The fashion industry does not focus enough on this; it’s always about the latest trends and purchasing new products, which are currently marked down 40% or 50% if you open a store credit card. Keepsake items are priceless. They don’t follow trends or get traded out for new products every season—they are a part of us. They’re a part of who we were and most importantly, who we are.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout