Indoor Ideas to Make You Forget the Polar Vortex Outside Your Window

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s here!  As much as we begged it to stay away, winter has declared its advance.  Welcome to the season of Rudolph-red noses, falling to our icy deaths, and slush . . . lots and lots of nasty slush.  Aside from the benefits of maybe sledding your way to a downhill class, and the approach of home-cooked holiday meals, not a whole lot of cheer is brought by the view of frost on your windowpane.

If you’re mellow is seriously harshed by the frostbite of winter, allow Her Campus to melt your troubles away and offer you several activities to make you forget what’s happening outside your window!

1.DIY Your Own Hot Cocoa Bar.

Hot chocolate has gone from a simplistic holiday beverage to its own form of art.  Gather candy canes, marshmallows, whipped cream and any fix-ins you can imagine to create a cocoa drink made to envy.  If you really want to be creative, paint your own mugs to match!

2.Fall Back In Love With Your Childhood Blanket Fort.

Bring cozying up in blankets to a whole not-so-new level by getting some friends together to reinvent the blanket fort of your dreams!  Not only will it block your view of the sleet outside your window but you’ll be entertained for hours just by perfecting it.  Add whatever touches you think of to make it your own and make your childhood-self proud!

3.Invest in String Lights.

These lights are no longer just for the holidays!  Not only are they the perfect solution to disgusting fluorescent dorm lighting, but they can add a cozy glow to any space and truly make it your own.  There are no shortage of colors and styles.  You could even turn the string lights into flowers to launch you right into spring fever!

4.Netflix, Netflix, and More Netflix.

Nothing like a movie night with friends to draw your attention away from the cold!  Watch all your favorite Molly Ringwald classics or chuckle your way through the Adam Sandler flicks and create a night to remember!  Fuzzy blankets are definitely recommended.

5.Create A Tropics-Themed Music Mix.

Summer songs may be long gone on the radio, but there’s nothing like creating your personal summer mixtape to tune out the winter blues.  Just close your eyes and envision the palm trees.

6.Surround Yourself With Your Own Version of Paradise.

Coat your walls with giant posters of sand and sun and unpack the lawn chairs and sunglasses.  Who says winter has to be dull and dreary?

1.Build a Dorm Hammock.

Nothing says warm and breezy like the comforts of swinging in a hammock.  Create your own little piece of summer vacation, perfect for curling up with a good book or enjoying an afternoon nap.

There are our seven ways to forget the blizzard.  Keep calm and stay cozy, my friends.

Kate is a junior at University of Wisconsin Stout.  She is a Professional Communication and Emerging Media major, with a concentration in Applied Journalism and a minor in Speech Communication.   Very soon she will also be dual majoring in Digital Marketing Technology. Her interests include blogging, writing, swing dancing, watching movies and (yes) training llamas back home.  Check out her blog at http://collegiettebyday.com
Her Campus at UW-Stout