Homecoming Queen Nominee: Jonathan Flores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name:  Jonathan Flores         

Major: Hotel, Restaurant, Tourism Management

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Los Angeles, California

Relationship status: Single

HC: Why did you run for Homecoming royalty?

JF: I’ve always been fond of being involved on campus and when I was given the opportunity to participate in Homecoming here at Stout I couldn’t miss this chance. Also, who doesn’t love the chance to receive a crown at the end of the completion?

HC: What would winning mean to you?

JF: As a man running for the Queen title, it means that my fellow peers here at stout see that gender has nothing to do with the leading role. It would mean that I can be seen as an equal to women and encourage others to break the gender barriers that we have in place in today’s society.

HC: How have you been campaigning to become royalty?

JF: Telling people by word of mouth is one of the best ways I have spread the word. I also think that me being a male and running for Homecoming Queen is a huge campaigning boost for me. I’ve also made a collage of myself that is hanging in the MSC, have a Facebook page for the campaign and also made a video to show a fun side of myself and to advertise that I’m running for Queen.

HC: What do people say is your best quality?

JF: My trustworthiness. I do my best to never let anyone down. I’m a firm believer in that when someone puts their faith in you, you must do whatever it takes to not let them doubt you in the future.

HC: How are you involved in campus? If not, do you want to become more involved?

JF: I’m currently a member in the Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) org and I also play Intramural Volleyball here on campus. Next year I would love to be a part of the Cross Country team, I love running and since I did it in high school I’d love to do it here at Stout. I’d like to say I’m a pretty great runner.

HC: Where do you see yourself 5-10 years from now?

JF: Hopefully with a stable career, a roof over my head, a dog and possibly a husband and child. I love to travel so living abroad wouldn’t be out of the question. Things do come up and life happens but I’m most likely aspiring to be happy.

HC:  Who is the main influence on your life?

JF: Walt Disney. He’s a man who had a dream and followed through it and created an empire that brings joy to people of all generations, identities and backgrounds. Who would have thought that in one location he could bring everyone together to inspire them to dream just like he did. I have dreams and goals and I know that anything is possible if you truly believe in yourself. 

HC: If you were given a large amount of money, what is the first thing you would spend it on?

JF: In all honesty I would pay off my debt. I’d rather blow that money on my bills rather than buying a material item. I’d follow up with that by donating to a charity.

HC: What is your ideal first date experience?

JF: April 25 because it’s not too hot and not too cold, all you need is a light jacket. Or a date where I’m left in the dark, he plans everything and it’s all a surprise.

HC: What is an ultimate deal breaker in a relationship?

JF: If he chews with his mouth open. I’m sorry it’s a huge pet peeve and I can honestly get over anything else, like if he didn’t want marriage or kids. But if he chews with his mouth open or eats loudly I can’t do it.

HC: If you could develop any superpower, what would it be?

JF: I want to be able to fly. I love to travel and having the ability to fly wherever I want anytime I want would be a blast. I’d spend every weekend in a different country.

HC: Favorite place on campus?

JF: I love sitting in the MSC, they play fun music over the speakers and coffee is just a few feet away from me.

HC: Any other quirks about yourself you want people to know?

JF: Whenever I have the opportunity to dress up I will. I love wearing button up shirts, ties and dress shoes. It’s fun to be really classy and spiffy sometimes.

Allison, Currently student at U of Wisconsin-Stout major in Human Development Studies. Hometown Minneapolis MN- it's been a big change from big city MN to small town WI. Huge fan of teacup pigs and anything furry. Always on the move, type of person you can hear before you see.