Her Campus’ Very Own – Allison Gadbois!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Bubbly, entertaining, sweet, authentic, hilarious, adventurous, suspiciously good at charades, and in her words “a self-proclaimed outgoing introvert” are just a few of the many ways this week’s campus celeb could be described. She’s the type of Stoutie that people refer to when they say “the best part about UW-Stout is the people.” Undoubtedly. Along with her killer personality, she’s a well-rounded student and a gifted writer with an endless amount of stories to share. Meet Stout’s Her Campus Lifestyle blogger and the newest addition to HC’s Board of Directors – Allison Gadbois!

Name: Allison Marie Gadbois

Major: Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management with a Minor in Spanish

Year: Junior

Hometown: Lindstrom, MN

HC Positions: Lifestyle Writer and Secretary/Treasurer

HC: What made you choose UW-Stout?

AG: I knew the campus from my older sister being alumni and my mother really pushed it because she knew I wanted to study hospitality and tourism. I think she just didn’t want her kids to move far away yet, but it turned out as it should have.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Stout?

AG: My favorite thing is the many hiking trails around Menomonie. I love being outdoors, so it is perfect for me to have places like Hoffman Hills, Red Cedar Trail, or the Bottoms close by for spontaneous adventures. 

HC: How are you involved on Campus or in the community?

AG: I am the secretary/treasurer and a writer for the organization Her Campus. I am also employed at Jakes Supper Club. I love to stay busy and moving, so having a job and being involved keeps me happy. Another perk is that the food at Jakes is amazing!

HC: How did you get involved with Her Campus?

AG: I actually got involved by simply seeing the booth at the Backyard Bash. I knew nothing about it and was even planning on joining a different club, but once I learned more I was hooked. I had never wrote anything for other people to read before and was excited about trying something new.

HC: What do you love about writing?

AG: As a self-proclaimed outgoing introvert, I love the power writing has to clear my mind. I also was never any good at drawing or painting in school, so writing became my own form of art. To me, the planned composition of certain words can be more beautiful and evoke more feelings than any painting ever could.

HC: So, you studied abroad, tell us about that experience!

AG: I studied in Seville, Spain. Studying abroad is really everything everyone tells you it will be and then so much more. It is one of those experiences that is so hard to put into words and even if you do find the words, other people still have a hard time comprehending how it changes you. I think of the places, people, and memories every single day and miss it still like crazy. Most days, even here, I feel more European than I do American!

HC: Where do you get your inspiration from?

AG: People and daily life around me. College students are at such a weird place in their lives and we are all so incredibly different that it makes for great content.

HC: What are you plans and aspirations for the future?

AG: I would never be able to list them all.  Mainly, I just want my future to consist of learning, drinking tea, traveling, making money at my dream job, family, and doing all that I can to bring a little more positivity and kindness to the world. No exact plans. I figure I will let serendipity lead me to exactly where I am supposed to go and I have no doubts it will be amazing.

SPEED ROUND:

Favorite spot on campus: Yoga classes

Favorite sport to watch: Boxing

One word your friends use to describe you: Entertaining

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.