This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I know what you’re probably thinking!  First-class = Expensive. 

Not always!

If you give a mouse a cookie, he’ll want a glass of milk to go with it, right? Therefore, the perfect outfit needs some accessories to go along with it too. Whether you’re into a lot of them or a few, something as simple as a good pair of sterling-silver stud earrings or a printed scarf can do the trick. It’s all about styling.

I’ve always been fashion-forward but I was always afraid of over-accessorizing. I thought I had to choose a necklace or a bracelet and couldn’t wear both. If this sounds a bit like you, perhaps these tips will be beneficial.

Once I started working retail and entered the fashion field, I found myself utilizing a more versatile wardrobe. Then I realized that you really need to accessorize before you’ve completely rocked your look. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but accessories can definitely jazz up any outfit! Learning how to add the pieces to your outfit is the tricky part, though it doesn’t have to be. Some can do it so naturally and it looks fantastic. But, if you’re anything like me, you want to be trendy. However, you don’t want to be over-the-top and shocking either.

First things first: Every girl should always own a simple pair of stud earrings.

Diamonds are a girl’s go-to best friend. If the “bling” is little too much for your ideal style, try a simple set of pearls instead.

Some have a wall lined up with necklaces, jewelry boxes filled with an assortment watches, bracelets, and a ceramic tray of rings. Not everyone likes to spend their money on accessories, which has little effect on the act of accessorizing itself. Though it may seem like it, you don’t actually need an abundance of pieces to work with! Neutral pieces are essential since they can go with any outfit and typically don’t go out of style. Owning as little as three to five pieces is just fine as long as they’re neutral in color.

Sterling-Silver Diamond Studs

Gold Chain Necklace

Black Pashmina Scarf

Today, gold chains and metals seem to be the dominant trend, though silver is still out there. Keeping the same metal throughout the entire look is great and satisfying to the eye to most. However, mixing metals is the beginning of a new style. If you’re looking to be trend-setting, mixing metals are just what’s in. If not, keeping it the same tone will never go out of style.

Whether it is bold and big or dainty and delicate, jewelry completes every outfit. If you choose big and bold for your necklace, think simple for the earrings and hair accessories. Getting too much on the upper half of the body is when it becomes sore to the eye.

Accessory Don’ts

A large statement piece goes well with those studs we mentioned earlier as well as a watch and/or a bracelet set. Adding a scarf could make the necklace get lost in the fabric or possibly snag. My suggestion would be to keep that for tomorrow. Also, since you’re adding the chunky necklace, keeping the hair accessories to a minimum also helps you from looking too cluttered around the face.

You can wear this look with friends, at weddings, in business casual settings, or even in class.

Layered Statement With Simple Pearl Studs

Bold Statement Necklace and Men’s Style Watch

On the other side, dainty and delicate pieces are perfect to add to an outfit that you want to keep tasteful. Simply layering metals makes the outfit go from simple to statement. As layering and mixing metals becomes a bigger trend, more retailers are starting to carry them. These necklaces often times come in various lengths, which makes it perfect for adding that scarf we mentioned earlier with the 18″ chain-and-dangle earrings. Adding that perfect watch or bracelet acts as the finishing touch. 

This look really has a variety to it. If you have a simple taste for jewelry then these pieces do the job with just one chain. If you want a more creative-statement piece, it’s just as easy as adding another chain. Expressing your personality cannot go wrong.

Delicate pieces can be worn in many occasions since their options are endless. They work for casual outings, a tea date, a festival-inspired look, or trying to find something not so “out-there” for church events or funerals.

Delicate Layers

If you’re ever having a hard time picking out accessories, start from a simple phrase and plan from there. Just remember “The Rule of Three.”

With this technique you should choose three accessories to mix and match: hair, earrings, scarves, necklaces, rings, bracelets, belts, shoes, handbag, etc.

This is eye-appealing especially when adding an accent color to a neutral look. That neon belt, clutch, and statement necklace directs the seekers eye up and down the whole body instead of just the one area. It also makes the neutral outfit seem as if the accent color is supposed to be there. 

“Rule of Three”

These looks don’t have to come out of a private party catalog or boutique. Stores that carry delicate and statement pieces at reasonable prices can be found at your local mall. These stores include, but are not limited to:

• Buckle
  • Charlotte Russe
  • Charming Charlie
  • Claire’s
  • Francesca’s
  • Forever 21
  • Icing
  • Maurice’s
  • Rue 21
  • Vanity

The next time you dress up for a special occasion, whether it’s a night out downtown, first time meeting your significant other’s family, or a casual day of work, remember that accessories add the final touch to your already fabulous outfit! And always remember that you don’t have to have a lot of money in your pocket or be a trend-setting style guru just to accessorize!

Her Campus at UW-Stout