Extremists Attack Mali Hotel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Last Friday in Mali, gunmen killed at least 22 people when they attacked a hotel hosting peace talk delegations. 

According to the Al Akhbar news agency, Islamist militant group Al Mourabitoun made claims that it carried out the attack in cooperation with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. The attack was purported to be retaliation for government aggression in northern Mali.

Malian troops take their positions during rescue efforts

“These people started shooting. They were shooting at everybody without asking a single question. They were shooting at anything that moved,” said Tamba Couye, a hotel employee.

Mali has struggled with instability over the years. In 2012, a military coup left the country in chaos, while Islamic extremists with links to al Qaeda took over a large part of the country’s northern sector. Since then, the extremists have been pushed out of the cities due to government efforts but have regrouped in the desert. 

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout