Donald Trump’s First Week a Whirlwind of Executive Orders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

President Donald Trump, a little over one week into his term, has been busy. So far our new President has called for the roll back of the Affordable Care Act, revived the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipeline projects, attempted to restrict persons from seven Muslim majority countries from entering the United States, pulled out of the TPP, and downgraded the director of national intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from their positions on the National Security Council.

The New York Times reported on Friday that, “If other new occupants of the White House wanted to be judged by their first 100 days in office, President Trump seems intent to be judged by his first 100 hours.” This statement couldn’t be more accurate. As of Saturday, Trump had issued 13 executive orders, including Friday’s travel ban on citizens of Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from entering America for at least the next 90 days. This order has been very controversial, with critics claiming it is wrongfully persecuting Muslims. Trump’s administration has denied that the order is a “muslim ban”, but many have taken to Twitter with the hashtag #muslimban to express their opposition. 

Trump’s liberal use of his executive powers has not only created controversy, but lost him a great amount of support from the public, and his own party members. In only a few days, President Trump’s approval rating has slumped, with 51 percent of Americans now disapproving of his presidency. To compare, it took former President George W. Bush 3 years to reach the same disapproval rating.

Regardless of political views, it is obvious that Trump is on course to be one of the most controversial Presidents ever.

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout